Director, Project Management Excellence
Posted Date: Mar 16 2021
The Head of Project Management Excellence is accountable for the establishment and maintenance of Project Management processes, business rules and practices across GSK R&D, to support the drug/vaccine development with excellence in project management discipline across all phases. This encompasses methodologies, trainings and behaviours enabling the teams to manage the projects efficiently.
The role is accountable for the project management capability building in the PPRM organization.
S/he will be responsible for leading and managing a team of Project Management Excellence Managers and will be directly accountable for ensuring PPRM remains at the edge of the PM discipline, assessing continuously new innovative ways of working.
Builds and leads the team of Project Management Excellence Managers who are:
- Being a primary point of contact for the PM methodologies and use of related infrastructure for the R&D organization
- Developing, implementing and managing the project management methodologies such as processes, business rules, practices to support the project managers and the project teams. It encompasses the development of business rules in collaboration with the PM systems and Resource Management teams, project information and documentation management, risk management, performance management, the maintenance of a project management handbook and/or related framework.
- Leading complex projects for the development and implementation of new PM methodologies, capturing business needs from the stakeholders (project managers, EDLs/MDLs/VDLs, Portfolio, Finance etc).
- Define and maintain the E2E drug/vaccine development framework such as the IAP (Integrated Asset Plan).
- Partnering with other teams in the PPRM CoE or TECH to develop the fit-for-purpose systems required to manage the GSK R&D development projects E2E in an efficient and compliant manner.
- Developing and providing onboarding and training and support the Project Management community (in PPRM and in other functions) in applying the PM methodologies. In using the PM systems, to ensure quality and robustness of the project information and to help leveraging the PM discipline.
- Driving continuous improvement of the PM methodologies and infrastructure, liaising with relevant partners to achieve it.
- Ensuring compliance with the PM methodologies and systems, identifying KPIs, set achievable targets, monitor and support the teams to achieve them, conduct audits etc.
- Capturing external trends and innovation related to the PM discipline, and ensuring GSK R&D remains at the edge of the industry for the PM methodologies and infrastructure.
Provides effective and inspiring leadership, as well as stewardship, of the Project Management Excellence function, supporting professional and transversal development of staff, directing internal operations to achieve budgeted results and other criteria; maintaining high quality work and building a centre of excellence for Project Management.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- 8 plus years of experience in Life Science R&D project management
- Experience with project management systems
- Leadership experience
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- PMP or similar certification, Planisware (scheduling software) experience
- Demonstrable aptitude for project and process management, ideally with knowledge of the drug/vaccine development business processes
- Deep knowledge in the use of the planning tools and methodologies, as well as other methodologies such as communication, risk or performance management
- Manages change/challenges with a positive approach and flexibility for the individual, the team and the business. Sees change as an opportunity to improve performance and add value to the business.
- Ability to incorporate strategy and organizational considerations
- Ability to resolve problems with thoughtful use of knowledge, information and networks in a flexible way and to be successful in a matrix environment encouraging an enterprise thinking mind set.
- Establish network of communication and continuously build collaboration to facilitate smooth partnerships and interfaces between all groups involving in resource management related matter. Ensure alignment and partnership with GSK Pharma as appropriate.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently, to develop credibility with colleagues within and outside GSK.
- Possesses excellent English language written and verbal communication skills in addition to proven negotiation skills.
- Self-directed and highly motivated, able to understand where to apply efforts to achieve the most significant business outcome. Feels strong sense of ownership of the key objectives of team
- Proven ability to operate at multiple levels across the organization, and successfully achieve complex business outcomes, prioritize demand on staff and remove barriers. A high degree of personal ownership of these goals is essential
- Must be able to constructively challenge and influence with mastery, credibly engaging with key stakeholders within R&D and GSK but also with experts in the external environment
- Build strategic project management capability to industry leading edge level and proactively move the team and organization forward
- Highest standard of data integrity, compliance and quality mindset. Strong analytical skills, interpersonal skills and communication skills are essential.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
- This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does not include all job evaluation details.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.