With continuing demand from LOR and within the external market we are seeking a Principle Estimator to join our team.
The role is within Expanded Structures who self-deliver civil and concrete structures for Laing O'Rourke and within the external market. With turnover reaching over £330m in 2018, Expanded Ltd is one of the largest organisations in the field delivering unique and complex projects across the UK.
Our workload is diverse and brings together key internal business of geotechnical / Explore Manufacturing (Precast) / Vetter (Stone) to offer clients complete solutions.
Technical Capabilities and Responsibilities
- Securing a potentially profitable work stream for the business by ensuring that bids are prepared in a timely manner, are attractive to our customers, and meet LOR Group requirements.
- Operating in an efficient manner by utilising appropriate Digital Engineering (DE) tools and Candy CCS Estimating software, promoting consistent practices and using feedback from live or recently completed projects as appropriate.
- Understand and drive through the 'Value Proposition' through opportunities, including Self Delivery where appropriate, Digital Engineering and meeting the DfMA agenda
- Seeking to improve competitiveness by innovative thinking and engaging Engineering Excellence as appropriate
- Engaging all disciplines/functions in the work winning process; Design, Commercial, Engineering, Digital Engineering (DE), Procurement, Engineering Excellence Group (EnEx.G), Planning & HS&E
- Responsibility for tenders ranging in value from £1m - £100m
- Procurement – exposure to various mechanisms for the procurement of projects
- Pricing – expert in establishing a forecast of net prime cost, preliminary costing and cost planning
- First Principle estimating – expert in labour, plant and materials productivity pricing of structural concrete works (Groundworks/Basements/Structures/Highway Structures)
- Package management – expert in skills in supply chain enquiry generation and management
- Bid Administration – expert in managing the tendering and estimating process
- Previous use of Estimating software (Candy CCS is currently used) – Desirable
- Previous experience of precast concrete frame solutions (Hollowcore / Lattice Planks / Twinwalls / PC Columns)
- Ability to use initiative to think ahead, learn, plan and be able to work unsupervised for periods of time.
- Understanding of falsework / formwork / jump form and slip form systems
- HNC / Cognate Degree in Construction or Civil Engineering; demonstration of relevant experience;
- Previous site experience outside of Estimating Role in either an Engineering or Commercial Role (Desirable)
- Previous experience of leading a team of estimators across the bid process
- Ability to influence and develop winning strategies for tenders.
- Excellent all round experience of estimating procedures through the life of an estimate, through until submission, post tender procedure, award and handover to the delivery team.
- Can manage the quantification from drawings
- Ability to lead complex/multi trade tenders through the settlement process
- Coaching and mentoring of Cadets & Graduates
- Previous experience of managing tenders across a number of sectors / work types
Why Choose Us?
We really value difference at Laing O'Rourke and believe a diverse team drives innovation. We are a global multicultural business to the inclusion of all employees, enabling everyone to feel respected & valued for being themselves.
We want to ensure our recruitment process is accessible to all. If you need the application form in an alternative format or you would like to know more about our recruitment process please email [email protected]
We take your right to privacy very seriously.
Apply now or read more about us at http://www.laingorourke.com/responsibility. We look forward to speaking with you soon.
To all recruitment agencies: Laing O'Rourke does not accept agency CVs. Please do not forward CVs to our vacancies, employees or any other person acting on behalf of us. Laing O'Rourke is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs