Associate Civil Engineer / Associate Director – Nuclear new-build
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin, is one of the world’s leading multi-disciplinary consultancy firms offering unparalleled opportunities for talented individuals in search of a rewarding career. Atkins’ Infrastructure business is looking for flexible and agile Associate and Associate Director level civil and structural engineers to support our major nuclear new-build Clients around the UK in a range of exciting and unique design and construction projects.
The Infrastructure business provides multidisciplinary engineering services and integrated solutions across a wide range of building and infrastructure projects, leading the way in innovation, design transformation and digital engineering. Drawing upon a diverse skill set and with a proven track record of delivery we are playing a leading role in some of the world’s most challenging and exciting engineering projects. We pride ourselves in offering a truly multi-disciplinary working environment and bring exciting opportunities to influence a project from beginning to end. This position will form part of our national Design & Advanced Technology practice, with all the opportunities for collaboration that this brings, but with a specific focus on civil and structural engineering within the Energy and Defence markets.
These key posts will be largely based on our Client’s sites in the South-West of England and Scotland*, although we are also looking for engineers to join our office-based teams across the UK. The site-based roles are either as part of a co-located multi-disciplinary design team, or in support of construction activities, and will offer a challenging and rewarding opportunity to apply knowledge, experience and problem-solving skills whilst providing good opportunities for career development. We are looking for practically minded and delivery focussed civil and structural engineers (particularly those with a nuclear sector background and experience in heavy civil engineering structures, external works, water retaining structures, design integration and design management) to provide technical and delivery leadership.
The post also includes provision of technical leadership to both the practice and the wider Atkins business through our technical networks – these bring together groups of technical specialists from the business, who collaborate in winning and delivering work, as well as exchanging knowledge and best practice to develop the technical capacity and overall capability of the network and business.
If you have a passion for engineering and want to understand where a career with Atkins might lead then we would like to hear from you.
- (restrictions apply in some instances due to the global pandemic, but as and when restrictions are removed all roles will be as described).
- Leading in the delivery of complex critical infrastructure projects as part of a technically focussed design and/or site design liaison team
- Production and review of designs for projects in accordance with relevant design standards and codes
- Ensuring the provision of efficient and high quality engineering services, to a high level of quality assurance
- First point of contact for clients, contractors, design team and third parties
- Provide leadership from both a technical delivery and people management perspective
- Offer support and guidance to more junior members of the team
- Effectively manage own time
- Build client and internal relationships and help identify and develop business opportunities
- Working with our key clients to maintain and develop excellent professional relationships which can secure repeat business
Please read these requirements carefully before applying and ensure they are evident on your CV if you have achieved them.
- Honours Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Chartered Engineer (MICE or MIStructE) or working towards chartership
- Significant, established and practical skill and experience across concept design, detailed design and construction stages in:
- heavy civil engineering structures, including reinforced concrete and structural steel, and familiarity with current design standards and working practices (British Standards and possibly American codes); and/or
- external works, including drainage, utilities, paved and unpaved surfaces, earthworks, access and accessibility, construction logistics and familiarity with current UK design standards and working practices; and/or
- managing complex multi-disciplinary designs and teams, including integration, design and delivery management.
- Significant experience in, and a desire to provide, technical leadership and collaboration within a technically orientated delivery team
- Proven ability to lead, manage and work to budget and programme, to control costs and manage change control processes
- Experience of working with, and managing, small focused technical teams as well as large multi-disciplinary teams
- Proven experience of working in the nuclear sector (energy or defence), particularly in the design and implementation of safety-related structures, systems and components
- Extensive experience of working on multi-discipline projects
- Proven experience effectively managing Clients and other external stakeholders, both technically and commercially
In addition, you will:
- have a proactive, co-operative and helpful attitude to colleagues and client
- have a supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team
- have a self-motivating, reliable and consistent approach to work
- be practically minded with a problem solving nature
- have a proven ability to keep control in pressed situations, deliver work within set timeframes and create a well-motivated team
- be able to work independently and in teams
- have the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- take acceptance of responsibility for work carried out
- have a flexible and adaptable approach to work
- have the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- have a flexible attitude to both the type of work undertaken and the level of responsibility given
- have a flexible approach to work location (highly preferable)
- have the ability to make decisions and act on your own initiative
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career in engineering, but who require flexibility. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. However, the nature of the projects we are recruiting for in this specific job description do require a high level of commitment to working on our Client’s sites for most roles.
Atkins offers a fantastic range of benefits, which you can tailor to suit your own health, wellbeing, financial and lifestyle choices.
All the information you need to know is available on our dedicated benefits portal; your reward, which is available to access 24/7 from any device: https://www.yourrewardatkins.com
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.