We’re here to make a positive impact on the world with technology, and strengthen the backbone of the economy by supporting small businesses.
Fractal is a platform-as-a-service that is reinventing how Small-Medium-Enterprises (SMEs) execute payments and access financial services. Fractal helps financial institutions and their SME clients save money by providing a smarter payments engine and an insights platform to deliver the right product, to the right SME, at the right time.
Believe it or not, 94% of global businesses are considered small businesses. They are crucial to global economies both for wealth creation and for the people they employ. Productivity is essential for promoting long-term economic growth and higher living standards.
These businesses count on financial services to help them operate, grow and succeed. Unfortunately, there is a huge ~£59bn SME funding gap in the UK, and in the EU and US, this gap amounts to a combined ~£881bn! The problem is even more pronounced in emerging markets.
It is vital that SMEs are given the best chance of succeeding.
We help financial institutions and their SME clients streamline their business operations through the use of our payments products and API platform, thereby facilitating frictionless access to financial services.
Fractal has featured in Forbes, Wired, Sifted, City AM amongst others. We have spoken at industry-leading events such as TNW, Innovate Finance’s Global Summit and LendIt, as well as hosted our own events in 2018, 2019 and 2020. Furthermore, Fractal was a recipient of a £2.5m grant from the BCR Capability and Innovation Pool E fund, to be used to further develop and improve our products for the benefit of SMEs.
We are looking for a talented Senior Engineer who has a strong background in backend development, who can confidently integrate APIs and who has experience in DevOps. The ideal person will join our Engineering team and help develop the technology and tools to power the next step of our journey. You will work closely with the Product and Engineering teams to define software requirements and take the lead on operational and technical projects.
This is a varied role where you’ll work on everything from architecting new features, to performance optimisation. It’s an opportunity to join a fast-growing startup at an early stage, build impactful products with a high degree of influence, and change the current financial industry.
In this role, you should be able to work independently with little supervision. You should have excellent organisational, communication and problem-solving skills. This will involve building out banking and payments solutions.
- Design, implement, test, and deploy high-performance backend microservices
- Champion and implement development best practices to ensure that the code is of a high quality, well-tested, scalable and secure
- Effectively write and discuss technical design documents with Engineering and Product
- Own technical decisions and maintain high standards within a fast-paced, iterative environment
- Develop tools that improve a developer’s experience and velocity; our CI/CD pipeline is based on GitLab
- Work with peers on the Engineering team, review code and help others improve
- Collaborate closely with the Product, Design and Engineering teams by participating in daily standups, sprint planning and acceptance testing
- Java, Python, NodeJs
- AWS - API Gateway, ECS Fargate, DynamoDB
- Serverless & Terraform deployments
- Kafka, events, gRPC microservices
- At least 6 years of experience with Java (Python would be a bonus).
- Hands-on DevOps experience with AWS infrastructure and micro-services.
- Solid foundation in designing and developing scalable APIs.
- Experience with NoSQL databases (we use Dynamo, Cassandra).
- Solid understanding of REST, gRPC and ideally also GraphQL.
- Strong computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
- Experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Story, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing.
- A Bachelor's, Masters, or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Engineering or a related field.
- 25 days / year holiday
- Employee share options
- Usual working hours (9.00 - 18.00)
- Core working hours are (11:00 - 15:00)
- Pension scheme
- Free barista made coffees, beer, cider, prosecco, and social evenings.
- Secure cycle parking and showers
If you do not already hold the right to work in the UK and/or require sponsorship in order to continue working here, you should think carefully before applying. This is because we will be unable to sponsor you unless there is no other suitably qualified settled worker available to fill the role or your current immigration status means that the resident labour market test will not apply in your case.