Business Development (BD) Executive - Finance, real estate and projects (no agencies)
Stephenson Harwood LLC London a month ago
About the Firm:
Stephenson Harwood is a law firm with 1100+ people worldwide, including more than 180 partners. Our headquarters are in London, with 9 offices across Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
Our people are committed to achieving the goals of our clients - listed and private companies, institutions and individuals across the globe. Our mix of expertise and culture results in a combination of deep local insight and the capability to provide a seamless international service.
Our experience encompasses corporate, commercial litigation and arbitration, employment, pensions and private wealth, finance, marine and international trade, and real estate and projects. We assemble teams of bright thinkers to match our clients' needs and give the right advice from the right person at the right time. Dedicating the highest calibre of legal talent to overcome the most complex issues, we deliver pragmatic, expert advice that is set squarely in the real world. We understand the power of diversity in delivering that high calibre advice to our clients. We want to attract diverse talent and we particularly encourage applications from underrepresented demographics.
We are currently seeking a BD Executive to join our BD team for finance, real estate and projects.Team Structure:
Business development - The role primarily supports the finance and real estate and projects practice groups (PGs) and reports into the BD manager for these PGs. You will also provide interim support to the marine and international trade (MIT) BD manager.
The BD and marketing team comprises the following teams: client development, events, practice group BD (PGBD), brand and online marketing, and communications and PR. This role sits within the London PGBD team but will require the candidate to work collaboratively across internal BD teams and with BD team members in our international offices.
Finance practice group - You will be supporting one of the firm's most prestigious practice groups – Finance, alongside a BD Manager. As well as providing general support to the BD manager, working closely with the practice group lead and other partners, you will also have the chance to be the primary BD point of contact for a variety of sub-practice groups. With over 130 finance lawyers worldwide, this group has ambitious BD and marketing aims to help cross-sell expertise and international capabilities. The finance group has market-leading specialisms in the commercial rail industry and other transportation asset finance (including aviation and ship finance), as well as experts in asset-based lending, real estate finance, transactional banking, debt capital markets and project finance.
Real estate and projects (REP) practice group - You will be supporting the real estate group, primarily based in the London office, but with links to our international teams. Our real estate team advises on investment acquisitions and disposals, development projects, sale and leasebacks and other real estate structures as well as landlord and tenant matters including relocations and lettings. This group has recently merged with the projects team, which also comprises construction and planning, presenting areas of overlap for clients. The projects group have a long history of working on major infrastructure projects both domestically and internationally. They advise in virtually every infrastructure sector including transport, energy and accommodation.
MIT practice group – You will also be called upon from time to time to support our world leading marine and international trade (MIT) practice. Our MIT team offers a breadth of services to clients in the shipping, offshore and commodity sectors. Our clients include many of the world's largest shipowners, shipyards, major ship finance banks, marine insurers and IG P&I clubs, energy services companies, oil and gas business and commodities traders. This practice is international and is serviced by specialist lawyers based in key shipping and trade hubs worldwide. The team is award-wining having been the Transportation team of the year for Legal 500 and featuring in Band 1 of key directories.
- Support the two core practice groups with ongoing BD profile raising activity on a day-to-day basis
- Management of a number of finance sub-groups, including attending and running BD meetings to support partners and fee-earners to identify opportunities for new business, generating relevant ideas to build market presence for these groups – this will include the opportunity to contribute and shape BD plans for these groups
- Manage the full proposal lifecycle, which includes being responsible for pitches relevant to the areas above, manage/produce individual capability statements as well as input on pitch presentations
- Responsible for managing the effective digital distribution of newsletters, podcasts, social media posts and other marketing content and work closely with the PR, brand and online marketing team to produce and this content
- Manage the Legal 500 and Chambers submission process for agreed practice areas (and additional sector/practice awards) and be responsible for producing high quality submissions
- Work closely with the BD manager(s) to help partners to further develop profitable revenue growth on their key PG client relationships
- Work with the events manager/BD manager to produce and deliver outstanding client events (virtual or otherwise depending on restrictions) but also support the logistics and materials required for the many events we sponsor or host overseas
- Liaise with the communications and PR team on internal news announcements and press releases to support the media plan for the different practice areas
- Work on targeted client research/trends – distilling research reports so they focus on key areas of relevance and suggesting resulting BD opportunities to fee earners
- Liaising with the BD assistant and PA’s on various tasks to help support you in achieving the above
You will be of graduate calibre ideally; and with proven BD experience in a professional services environment, preferably at executive level. Some knowledge of one or both of the practice groups would be desirable, though this is not essential.
- Demonstrates the Stephenson Harwood values of individuality, commitment, teamwork and straight talking
- Commitment to invest time in getting to know the team/sectors and look at this as an opportunity to really develop over the long term with the PGs and the BD team
- Knowledge of, or clear intellectual ability to learn, relevant industry jargon from related sectors
- Critical thinking, showcasing the ability to plan ahead and ‘join the dots’ across teams and practice groups
- Enthusiastic, proactive, confident, resilient and open to challenge and change
- Well organised and someone who delivers what they promise to a consistently high standard of quality
- A supportive team player able to demonstrate experience of building a collaborative environment
- A skilled verbal and written communicator with the ability to influence senior people in the business and develop relationships
- Innovative and open to new ideas, with the ability to challenge where necessary
- Commercially aware and knowledgeable and able to demonstrate that you consistently add value to business development thinking and activities
- Good desktop publishing skills
This job description is indicative only and does not represent an exhaustive list of responsibilities. The firm reserves the right to alter or change the responsibilities at any time, in line with the firm's strategy and business needs.
If you require this document in an accessible format (e.g. large print), please contact [email protected]
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to having a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, culture or any other protected characteristics. We aim to create a culture where everyone can be themselves and is valued for their strengths and unique perspectives.
We strive for inclusive recruitment practices so that you have all that you need to be successful. Please do let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments during the application or interview process.