Business Development (BD) Manager - Corporate (no agencies)
Stephenson Harwood LLC London a month ago
About the Firm:
Stephenson Harwood is a law firm with 1100+ people worldwide, including more than 180 partners. Our headquarters are in London, with 9 offices across Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
Our people are committed to achieving the goals of our clients - listed and private companies, institutions and individuals across the globe. Our mix of expertise and culture results in a combination of deep local insight and the capability to provide a seamless international service.
Our experience encompasses corporate, commercial litigation and arbitration, employment, pensions and private wealth, finance, marine and international trade, and real estate and projects. We assemble teams of bright thinkers to match our clients' needs and give the right advice from the right person at the right time. Dedicating the highest calibre of legal talent to overcome the most complex issues, we deliver pragmatic, expert advice that is set squarely in the real world. We understand the power of diversity in delivering that high calibre advice to our clients. We want to attract diverse talent and we particularly encourage applications from underrepresented demographics.
We are currently seeking a BD Manager to join our BD team.Team Structure:
Your primary role will be to provide strategic BD support, advice and insight to the corporate practice group, helping the team to grow their market reputation and revenues significantly. You will need to provide strategic input across the group, working closely with the overall practice group leader and the leaders of the main four corporate practice areas:
- corporate finance
- funds and equity capital markets (ECM)
- private equity
- commercial, competition and tax (CCT).
You will help each to create their business plan and push forward the implementation of the agreed BD initiatives to support it. This role also has an international cross-firm element, supporting the firm’s US group, managing a network of referral law firms (‘the Boston Group’) and running our firmwide participation at the annual International Bar Association (IBA) conference. A wide remit for an ambitious candidate.
The role reports into the Head of Practice Group BD. You will be responsible for two BD executives, aligned to the four sub-groups. They will be managing the day to day requirements of the partners in their teams. The wider BD team are responsible for client development, communications and PR and online marketing. You will work with those teams to identify opportunities to cross sell, build the department profile and deliver effective campaigns.
You will be encouraged to join the weekly corporate partners meeting to keep up to date with the latest developments within the team and identify opportunities for revenue growth.Main Responsibilities:
- Work with the sub-group leaders to draft the sub-group business plans and take the lead on delivering on the BD aspects of the plan
- Work with all partners to define how they can differentiate their practices in the market and develop key selling messages for the partners and groups as a whole
- Develop and help execute client relationship plans and act as the account manager for key clients of the department and carry out feedback to continuously improve our services
- Manage key tender and panel opportunities, working with the partners on specific selling messages and enhancing the content by editing persuasive and accurate content with tailored messages, often to tight deadlines
- Act as the driving force behind the US group, Boston Group and IBA, delivering on agreed key objectives and initiatives
- Take responsibility for understanding both the global capabilities of the corporate practice (enabling effective cross selling of the work of the corporate sub-groups across all offices) and the wider offerings within the firm (enabling appropriate introductions wherever possible)
- Provide BD mentoring support to the High Potential Senior Associates by thoroughly reviewing and supporting their personal BD plans
- Manage the day to day workload of the BD executives (including their management of events, developing credentials and completing legal directory submissions) and provide support and guidance in their career development and training
- Consistently look for ways to improve BD practices and outcomes to ensure that we maximise value from everything we do (eg deal capture)
- Identify deal activity trends, review competitor activity and write and drive plans to target a specific market or client
- Liaise with the Communications team to raise the profile for the corporate team and work with the other two PG BD managers to share ideas on campaigns that have worked effectively in other groups
You will be of graduate calibre ideally; and with extensive business development experience in a professional services environment. Some knowledge of working in corporate or related practice areas would be ideal, though this is not essential. Key attributes:
- Manage multiple projects concurrently and prioritise accordingly, delivering to a consistently high standard
- A proven track record of managing and developing the career of a BD executive/assistant
- A supportive and committed team player able to demonstrate experience of building a collaborative environment
- A skilled communicator with the ability to influence senior people in the business and develop relationships
- Innovative and proactively approach partners with ideas for new initiatives, with the ability to challenge where necessary
- Commercially aware and knowledgeable and able to demonstrate that you consistently add value to business development thinking and activities
This job description is indicative only and does not represent an exhaustive list of responsibilities. The firm reserves the right to alter or change the responsibilities at any time, in line with the firm's strategy and business needs.
If you require this document in an accessible format (e.g. large print), please contact [email protected]
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to having a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, culture or any other protected characteristics. We aim to create a culture where everyone can be themselves and is valued for their strengths and unique perspectives.
We strive for inclusive recruitment practices so that you have all that you need to be successful. Please do let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments during the application or interview process.