Electronics Engineer - Space @ BAE Systems Applied Intelligence - London
2 months ago
Electronics Engineer - Space
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence - London
Launch your Career into Space with BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence we develop world-class radio and data systems. We are launching a major new space programme, marrying our existing capabilities with new space technology.
We need skilled, enthusiastic and motivated people at all experience levels from graduate to CTO to deliver these exciting new capabilities. There are opportunities in all relevant engineering and non-engineering disciplines, both for those with space industry experience and those without.
Many roles come with opportunities for remote / hybrid working, working in our offices in Guildford and Great Baddow only when required.
We will provide you with personal development, CPD including support towards professional recognition, industry-leading benefits, and the opportunity to apply cutting-edge technology to interesting problems with the support of our highly-skilled engineering community.
Come and join us for this exciting opportunity to shape and deliver world-class space technologies.
What you will be doing (role duties and responsibilities)
We’d like to hear from people who have experience in some or all of the following areas that we cover (Space experience is desirable but not essential as long as you are keen to learn):
- RF PCB development: We design RF circuit boards ranging from low power embedded sensors through to high performance designs covering a wide range of communication bands from VHF through to millimetre wave systems. This development may involve modelling (eg using Matlab, Agilent ADS, CST, Spice etc) as well as schematic capture and RF circuit board layout.
- Digital, mixed signal and power PCB development: We develop a wide range of boards such as state-of-the art digital signal processing platforms incorporating space hardened FPGAs, SoCs and processors; boards to interface to external sensors and systems (eg optical sensors, electromechanical systems, optical comms lasers etc ) often incorporating high speed data interconnects.
- Mechanical design and system integration: We design enclosures to incorporate our PCBs and other subsystems. The designs have to be easily assembled and provide for cooling and protection in challenging environments. This work often involves environmental and compliance testing.
- System engineering: Most of our solutions comprise of a blend of hardware, firmware and software. Early in the development lifecycle you will be involved in the design activity responsible for partitioning the functionality in to these domains taking into account the requirements and constraints.
In addition to the engineering tasks outlined above, and depending on the level of seniority, additional tasks may include:
- Client interaction to understand and influence requirements, deliver solutions and be involved in bidding for new work.
- Development team lead, including mentoring junior engineering staff.
- Research and monitoring of developments in relevant technology to maintain and enhance our leading-edge capability.
The main emphasis of this role is the implementation and delivery of hardware solutions; advice and support from senior technical specialists is expected to be provided, particularly in the early stages of design.
What we are looking for (skills and experience)
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with the following characteristics:
- Highly motivated with a strong academic background typically in Engineering or Physics.
- A keen interest in the space sector and awareness of latest industry developments.
- Understanding of the principles of PCB circuit design and layout.
- Understanding of the principles of mechanical design. Experience with 3D CAD would be an advantage, but is not essential.
- Proven record of set-to-work and verification of complex hardware, sometimes under demanding project timescales; able to fault find and debug problems in a logical and thorough manner.
- Competent in the use of laboratory measurement equipment (eg oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, vector network analysers etc).
- Experience in the use of software and firmware development tools and environments, e.g. Python, C/C++, Linux, particularly as needed to support hardware test and debug.
- Comfortable working on multiple projects at the same time and in a dynamic environment where deadlines and priorities are changeable.
- Experience of working within multi-disciplinary development teams in a project-based environment.
- Good inter-personal skills; able to work well in a dynamic, collaborative team.
- Experience of designing products for real world use outside a lab (Space experience desirable but not essential).
- Experience of designing products for environmental and compliance testing and knowledge of the relevant standards.
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Applied Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
Job Introduction Reporting directly to the Tunnel Plant Manager on day-to-day basis regarding safety, quality, productivity and to Tunnel MEP Manager; the…
Position Summary Location: Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey, UK Flexible Working: We offer a hybrid working model within which a typical working week is 3 days…
Résumé du poste Location: Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey, UK Flexible Working: We offer a hybrid working model within which a typical working week is 3 days…
Head of IAM Service Delivery Big Bank Funding. FinTech Thinking. Our technology teams in the UK work closely with HSBC’s global businesses to help design…
JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.
As a Senior Software Engineering (Vice President), your mission is to help lead our team of innovators and technologists toward creating next-level solutions…
Head of IAM Engineering – Identity and Access Management (IAM) Big Bank Funding. FinTech Thinking. Our technology teams in the UK work closely with HSBC’s…
JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.
As an experienced member of our Software Engineering Group, we look first and foremost for people who are passionate around solving business problems through…
Transforming the Future with the Convergence of Engineering and Data Science Data Analytics Solutions Specialist (f/m/d) Do you like challenges, are you a…
JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.
We are searching for highly motivated senior front-end TypeScript engineers with track record of success to join our expanding team. In this role you will be…
ISS Facility Services
ISS is a leading global provider of facility services that complement our customer’s workplace. Bringing service to life, ISS uses a unique combination of data…
Minimum qualifications: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience. Experience with coding in data structures, algorithms, and…
Lead Electronics Design Engineer About Eave: Eave is an award-winning technology company changing hearing conservation in heavy industry through smart…
Hardware | Up to £18k p.a. | 1 year fixed-term contract | Predominantly remote but must have easy access to our London office At Pod Point we’re changing the…
*Who are we?* Sagentia Innovation provides leading-edge product development services focused on science and technology initiatives. We work across the medical…
Morgan Sindall Plc
Competitive salary and benefits Benefits 23 days holiday plus bank holidays, company uniform, pension plan, accident cover, life assurance, company van …
Are you an enthusiastic and curious individual who loves solving complex challenges using software? Are you a passionate learner who is always trying to…
Apply Here For Expedited Consideration If You Are Being Directed to a Third Party Site: https://matterport.com/careers/ Matterport is leading the digital…
Firmware developer At Saab, we are constantly looking ahead and pushing boundaries on what´s considered technically possible. Saab is expanding in UK and we…
Are you looking for an opportunity with a market-leading Security company with an impressive reputation for its high-quality products and customer service? If…
*COMPANY: RS CONNECT* RS Connect is the UK’s and Ireland's largest leading telematics installation provider within the Insurance industry and suppliers to…
JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.
Python Software Engineer - Athena Trade & Risk Services - Intraday Risk - Associate - CIB As a skilled Software Engineer, your mission is to design, develop…
Escape Entertainment London
We are a live escape game company based in the City of London. We have a new room set up with different sensors and magnetic locks that when triggered make…
SecureWais UK Limited
SecureWais is a high-end electronic security integrator, established in London 25 years ago. We have the great honour of working with all of the large blue…
Facebook Reality Labs (FRL) - Portal for Work, TPM team.The Portal SW TPM team has the responsibility for taking breakthroughs and delivering them to market…