General Merchandise Manager, Luxury Menswear
Currently Europe’s leading luxury shoe and accessory retailer we are looking for dynamic individuals who are as passionate about our business as we are. At Kurt Geiger we love what we do and strive to be the best in our industry. We are a fast paced, competitive environment and are constantly evolving.
Reporting to the Head of Buying, all stores and genders, you will be responsible for overseeing the strategy and buying for our Luxury Menswear Distribution, as well as overseeing and managing the Mens buying team directly. This includes Selfridges, Harrods, Brown Thomas and Liberty.
You will have accountability for delivering profit, sales, stock turn, and margin targets, as well as driving the future development and growth of the brand matrix strategy.
To be successful in this role, you will be very analytical as well as creative; you will have an eye for detail whilst seeing the bigger picture of evolving trends; you will be driven to succeed.
- Clearly identify all target customers
- To be analytical: identify successes and failures, seek opportunities to drive performance & mitigate issues. Prepare in advance for buying appointments so that you can guide the team to place strong and relevant buys leading to profitable success
- You will attend buying meetings overseeing product selection before reviewing with Head of Buying
- Formulate and drive the strategy for Menswear and develop opportunities specifically tailored to each distinct customer profile and store
- Ensure your team are constantly reviewing competition, to ensure our product proposition is in line or ahead of the market across all key areas: fashionability, price, depth, and availability.
- Extensive travel across fashion weeks to place and overview buys
- To propose new product opportunities to ensure sales are optimised and brand portfolio is continuously reviewed
- Oversee the management of existing suppliers, negotiate terms, hitting all KPI’s
- Manage the critical path to ensure that stock is ordered and delivered on time
- Deliver product and customer strategy to maximise sales, margin, profit and importantly - market share
- Liaise with same level associates in stores to maximise relationships, feedback, and synergistic working opportunities
- Sync with stores’ marketing plans to ensure buys fall in line with overall strategy of individual stores
- To deliver/exceed the Company target of Gross Profit by ensuring collections are in line with Company margin targets
- Work closely with the Merchandising counterparts to develop the strategy and to ensure profit is maintained or grown each season
- To ensure that Company sales targets are achieved/exceeded by buying product that is appropriate to the brands’ and stores customer profiles and current trading conditions
- To oversee product sell through rates to meet Company targets
- To oversee a comprehensive and accurate delivery schedule, that meets and supports the needs of the business and where appropriate deal with any late deliveries either by cancellation or achieving suitable discounts.
- To ensure your team work along-side the merchandise team to control and manage seasonal OTB and monthly stock targets, ensuring stock targets are not exceeded and sell through results are maximised.
- To work with the merchandisers to agree optimum stock levels of departmental run-on styles, resulting in Company sales being maximised.
- To hold weekly meetings with merchandisers to review performance of the department and to discuss and agree an action plan regarding sales, margins, stock levels and delivery status.
- To oversee the Menswear buying team, developing and guiding them through the buying process from A-Z
- To sustain and develop a close and open working relationship with the Merchandising Team that will ensure in-season trading issues are dealt with promptly and efficiently
- To report to the Head of Buying and keep them updated on all strategies and plans for signoff
Key Skills and Experience:
The candidate for this role will have an extensive buying background, and creative talent married with high financial acumen.
The ideal candidate will possess most, if not all, of the following competencies:
- Experience will have been gained as a Buyer ideally within footwear or alternatively RTW or Accs
- Knowledge of the shoe industry is essential
- Experience of managing a team
- Proven success in buying and managing collections achieving budgeted margins
- Existing strong supplier relationships
- Possess the ability to drive and grow brands, recognise changing trends, adapt to changing customer purchasing patterns, and pivot with economic and market changes
- Competitive basic salary
- Pension and life assurance
- Generous discounts
- Gym discounts
- Retail Trust support
If you are successful in application, you will work for a business which recognises that strong people are the key to driving our business forward. We are a fast-paced business where no two days are the same, so you will need to be adaptable; but we will reward your hard-work, commitment and loyalty with a fantastic benefits package and very real opportunities for progression.
We Are One:
At Kurt Geiger we celebrate individuality, believing our differences make us more powerful as a collective.
Diversity, equality and inclusion are at the core of who we are and we strive to reflect this in every corner of our company culture, starting with the promotion of equal opportunities. Though prejudice prevails in our world, it is not welcome in our workplace, and ensuring the equality of all our people processes to recruit a diverse workforce remains paramount.
We are committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone is granted the opportunity to thrive as their authentic self.
We Are One: For Love | For Diversity | For Change | For Equality | For Kindness | For Freedom | Against Racism