Head of Indirect Tax
Permanent, London based with flexible working (3-4 days per week with opportunity to WFH), Salary circa £110k - £120k plus excellent benefits including 15% bonus, car allowance, private healthcare, pension etc (to be pro rata'd)
Closing date: Wednesday 24th March
EDF, one of the country’s largest energy companies and the largest producer of low-carbon electricity, is looking for a strategic leader and an expert in their field to join them as a Head of Indirect Tax.
As a Head of Indirect Tax, you will be recognised as a point of reference and trusted business partner in providing specialist technical indirect tax support to key stakeholders, including the Finance Directors of EDF Energy and their local finance teams. You will provide strategic direction and leadership to both the indirect tax team and the Business Units in all indirect tax matters; ensuring tax risks are managed or eliminated. In addition, you will work with the Tax Director to embed a continual improvement culture within the mind-set of the team; driven by the continuing evolution of the business and/or the requirements of tax legislation. You will also develop and manage the relationships with any stakeholders who influence or directly impact tax risks or tax efficiency.
You will be empowered to take decisions necessary to the performance of the job purpose and key accountability areas of your role. As the company expert, you will be required to make all decisions based on the existing tax policies and will be the point of approval for the team. You will be accountable for all Indirect Tax matters, providing an explanation of the outcomes to the Tax Director. Amendments to tax policy will also be identified and implemented by you.
Day to day you will:
Lead the indirect taxes function strategically and operationally, ensuring operational delivery of the strategy through others in the indirect tax team and elsewhere in the business using influencing and business partnering skills. You will also actively seek opportunities to improve efficiency (e.g. automation) and to optimise the group’s tax position.
- Negotiate with and influence both HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and HM Treasury (HMT) on live issues to ensure that the best financial outcome is achieved.
- Lead lobbying activity with HMRC/HMT on proposed tax changes and provide input to Government lobbying in other business areas, ensuring that any changes to the tax and regulatory landscape have the smallest impact on the business, both financially and operationally. You will also represent the company in industry lobbying groups and influencing the members of those groups, as well as HMRC/HMT, in order to produce the optimum tax outcome for both EDF Energy and the wider group.
- Provide advice on transactions, new contracts, changes to the business and new products and promotions to ensure that these are tax efficient, balancing business costs with the requirement to follow the intent of the law.
- Manage and support the tax reporting of around c£3 billion cash flows across all indirect taxes. Ensuring that controls are sufficiently robust to ensure accurate calculation of all taxes.
- Engaging: Persuasive and engaging communicator at the most senior level, working collaboratively with a customer focused and service driven mindset.
- Commercially astute: Strong commercial knowledge of complex business operations and able to articulate commercially focused outcome-based results and up to date with industry standards.
- Innovative: Creative with the ability to challenge current practices and continuously thinking to encourage innovation.
- Conceptually flexible: Capable of seeing alternative viewpoints, building on and enhancing them in a positive and non-confrontational manner.
- Credible: Demonstrates gravitas and the ability to gain senior management respect and credibility.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent and a professional qualification such as ATT, CTA or AIIT, would be beneficial.
- Extensive indirect tax experience and rounded knowledge of these taxes (e.g. VAT, Intrastats, CCL, CPS, LFT, Ex55 and Aggregates Levy) – exposure to these energy tax issues would be beneficial.
- Best in class people management skills, relationship building, influencing work style developed through management of a diverse corporate functions workforce.
- High ethical standards demonstrated by individual’s previous approach to business.
- Senior Management experience in a large organisation, preferably energy related.
- Demonstrated success of delivering projects within tight timescales in a complex organisation.
- Strong analytical and technical skills and the ability to apply them practically.
- Proficient in MS Excel, Word and knowledge of accounting systems (SAP would be beneficial).
Competitive Salary & Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including a pension scheme, a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle, and the opportunity to earn a bonus.
Please let us know if you require flexible working arrangements by highlighting this on your application. We’re happy to talk flex in line with the requirements of this opportunity.
At EDF, everyone’s welcome. It’s a powerful statement of our intent to make sure we’re about the people who work with us – a rich and unique mix of backgrounds and experiences that’s vital to shaping a strong and fresh-thinking organisation like ours. Whoever you are and wherever you come from, we’ll embrace the difference you bring and give you opportunities to thrive and succeed.
Join us. Together, we’ll help Britain achieve net zero.