Head Of QA - OpenGaming
SG Digital (part of Scientific Games Corp. NASDAQ:SGMS) leads the global gaming market, providing innovative software that powers the world’s most successful operators and on-line gaming providers.
We pride ourselves on product innovation and technical excellence and are constantly adding new applications and new functionality to our product suite, used by billions of end users. Having recently become the Digital, on-line Division of the $4bn Scientific Games, we are now in period of dramatic growth that will see us grow headcount by 30% this year alone.
Want to be part of our story?
We are a group of distributed multidisciplinary engineers, passionate about casino gaming, focused on a few highly scalable distributed platforms on a hybrid technology stack running in public and private clouds.
The teams are small and move fast - all members are expected to be able to achieve maximum results with minimal direction. You will work on our core backend platform (C++) that provides the runtime environment for server side game logic, and develop tools, shared components and additional plugins/services for the server side game logic components to use. You will also be contributing to the devlopoment and delivery of additional services that make up the real money gaming ecosystem.
The Head of QA is a key member of the OpenGaming Engineering Leadership team.
We run a 24-7 highly transactional global network in heavily regulated markets, so quality controls, automation and performance testing are key to ensuring our platforms are both reliable and scalable. As such they will have overall responsibility for setting and driving forward our QA test strategy, tooling and standards across all our processes and software delivery. They will also be a key contributor to the overall technology strategy for engineering. The Head of QA is expected to have a good appreciation of engineering and technology, ideally having come from a software engineering background and worked closely with technology teams during their career to date.
They will define the end-to-end QA strategy and approach for all OpenGaming areas (backend, frontend/mobile and delivery) and will be responsible for ensuring end-to-end product quality. The person will work alongside senior Engineering Managers, QA Leads/Managers and Technologists, to define, communicate and implement a robust QA strategy and drive the associated QA initiatives.
The Head of QA role will lead and manage a globally distributed QA team. Strategically the organisation is seeking to appropriately balance capacity and expertise across Europe, Canada, and India, leveraging the broad and diverse expertise of Scientific Games’s global capability whilst being sensitive to teams’ co-location/co-timezone needs.
This is an essential role with a broad and critical remit within the OpenGaming organisation. The role requires leadership from the front, evangelism, an opinionated continuous improvement mindset and comfort with a fast-paced agile environment.
Key aspects of this role include:
Ø Strengthen and lead a specialised and high-performing QA department, that supports SGD to in maintain its industry leading, scalable, and reliable OpenGaming platform.
Ø Provide strong leadership that mentors and develops the team; providing development, coaching, performance management; ensuring the team is motivated and productive
Ø Build upon our existing vision for QA within OpenGaming, covering test strategy, ways of working, test standards and processes
Ø Enhancement and deliver our current Quality Assurance Automation strategy that brings value to all of the platform’s functional areas (including backend, frontend/mobile and feeds/content platforms)
Ø Ensure all platforms and teams adopt and adhere to our QA strategy
Ø Rollout our standardised way of Quality measurement and reporting in order to deliver accurate and comparable reports, supplemented by proposed actions.
Ø Definition and communication of a consistent set of QA processes for use across the full development and delivery lifecycle, which align with existing agile methodologies and contribute to the organization's Continuous Delivery objectives
Ø Own the QA budget, monitor costs and take proactive lean measures to reduce costs where feasible.
Ø Be the champion for QA within OpenGaming and the wider SG Digital organization; encouraging best practices, sharing learnings and insights
Ø Own vendor relationships with key external testing houses.
- Team & Resourcing
- Line management, mentoring and leadership of a globally distributed set of QA teams.
- Recruitment of QA team members (application screening, telephone Interviews and face to face interviews)
- Identification and support of the training needs of the QA teams, including maintenance of skill matrices where appropriate
- Motivating and driving the teams with technical leadership and vision. Engage and immerse the team in the broader business vision to maintain full alignment across the group.
- Work with Project Management and Senior Engineering Managers, to qualify QA resource demand based on business needs.
- Evolve and maintain Functional and Performance QA/Test strategies for OpenGaming.
- Represent QA to senior and executive stakeholders, including periodic updates/presentations of strategic progress
- Drive and implement a suitable and scalable automation testing framework for use within the organisation
- Work with Product and Engineering Management to drive through QA best practice across all areas
- In consultation and support from Development Managers, lead an engineering wide forum with test leads/managers, to communicate strategic initiatives and encourage/enforce collaboration in order to progress QA strategic initiatives
- QA Operations
- Be ultimately accountable for system and regression test execution within OpenGaming
- Establishing, tracking, and reporting a specific set of QA related metrics and KPIs, driving change and improvement as appropriate based on the data
- Where required, to assist in the preparation of test plans and test scripts for key engineering releases and deliverables
- To escalate any key quality and testing issues and concerns, whilst pitching proposals to mitigate/resolve
- Accountable for the selection, use and maintenance of QA tooling; managing service providers as and when required
- Provision of accurate documentation for use by product teams and internal support
- Assist with the creation and maintenance of project and release plans which include QA activities
- Key Stakeholder liaison and alignment with senior leadership in the SGD organisation, from Product teams to Operations and Architecture
- Fostering and maintenance of key relationships across the organisation (development, product, delivery, support) ensuring continuous bi-directional feedback loops are maintained
- Represent SGD regarding QA in customer workshops/meetings, regulatory test houses establishing a consolidated test strategy to delivery where applicable
Knowledge & Experience
➢ Extensive QA experience within the software industry, much of which in a hands-on QA and testing role, plus significant experience managing teams of highly technical QA staff
➢ Expert managerial and leadership skills, with the ability to motivate and lead personal development plans for employees, drive change, and handle complex project QA and test activities both internally and externally
➢ Adept at empowering others to lead and developing management skills in others
➢ Experience on team sizing, capacity planning, common tooling strategy, mentoring, training plans creation and governance
➢ Experienced at coordinating others’ work to ensure the objectives of the Quality Assurance function are met
➢ Proven ability to work in a remote context, manage through others and manage a team across multiple time zones
➢ Demonstrable experience in defining, communicating, and implementing comprehensive test strategies for complex projects with a heavy emphasis on automated testing through to production deployment, also with focus on non-functional requirements, notably performance and scalability
➢ Ability to work as part of a senior management group leading the Product Engineering programme
➢ Experience in contributing to and influencing company strategic planning or responsibility for departmental strategy
➢ Dealing with change on a daily basis; must be comfortable both with external factors driving this change as well as internal
➢ Excellent communication and presentation skills, with strong commercial mind-set and business acumen
➢ Must have a passion for QA. Be opinionated, especially about quality. Curiosity to maintain cutting edge knowledge of current technologies, look to innovate and embrace emerging technologies relating to QA
Why would you enjoy working with us at SG Digital?
Competitive benefits, an open and supportive environment as well as a modern and exciting workplace
The opportunity to interact with global teams on a regular basis and the possibility to switch teams and projects as you and our business continues to develop and grow
Tangible and genuine development - at OpenBet, you can take your career where you want it to go!
Exposure to real work, business-critical projects and the chance to develop some of the world’s leading e-commerce sportsbooks whilst working on exciting client projects and interact with lots of code!
And if that’s not enough; you will get to enjoy a stunning work location and flexible working whilst we provide you with the guidance and development skills you need to progress quickly and enhance your career.