Head of Project Improvement (Core Services)
a month ago
About Costain and your project.:
Costain helps to improve people’s lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK’s energy, water and transportation infrastructures.
The HS2 Main Civils Contracts include both Lots S1 (Euston Tunnels & Approaches) and S2 (Northolt Tunnels). The first 16 months of the project will involve detailed design, pricing and building up target cost, with work on site likely to start in early 2020.
Scope of works includes twin-bored tunnels (TBM driven), SCL tunnels/adits, shaft sinking, bridge demolition and reconstruction, utilities diversions, earthworks and the construction of site compounds.
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
Security Vetting: HS2 requires SCS to undertake security vetting on all staff to the UK Government Baseline Personal Security Standard. All successful candidates will be subject to this vetting procedure as part of the on-boarding process.What will I be doing?:
We currently have a vacancy for a Head of Project Improvement on our HS2 Main Works Contract.
Skills set: business improvement leadership
Job location: Old Oak Common
Accessible by public transport? yes
Working hours: Weekdays
About the role:
To drive a step-change in the understanding and prioritisation of behaviours, processes and activities that improve the efficiency of teams, quality of outputs and wellbeing of stakeholders engaged with the project (stakeholders being clients, shareholders, supply chain partners and employees, plus others).
- Head of Service responsible for all activities and teams relating to Continuous Improvement (Lean), Innovation, Knowledge Management
- Set and implement strategic direction / objectives / targets for Project Improvement ensuring alignment to HS2 Vison and SCS Strategic goals
- Support Leadership and business performance, using data to make fact-based interventions and improve quality and efficiency
- Lead the Project Improvement team, championing and growing their value add across the Project.
- Managing and developing Team based in multiple locations.
- Develop and champion a project wide culture of Continuous Improvement, Innovation, Knowledge Transfer to empower and engage project teams.
- Oversee change and transformation initiatives in the short, medium and long term, leading others along the journey.
- Work with Senior Leaders to implement efficiency and improvement strategies, embed best practice and strategic thinking whilst working with stakeholders to ensure innovation that supports future delivery.
- Understand the “voice of the customer” to drive the performance of the team and wider project across Operational and Service delivery.
- Sponsor innovation at a senior level including project funding, R&D and development of the innovation projects and campaigns portfolio.
- Responsible for representing and promoting team and project successes to enhance SCS and HS2 reputation and legacy across parent companies, HS2 route and across industry
- Act as a connector building relationships and networking across parent companies (UK and globally) and other HS2 MWCC.
- Act as role model, upholding the values and behaviours of SCS and HS2
- Drive key initiatives and identify legacy leaving opportunities to turn HS2 into an industry leading project
- Maintain close working relationship with Collaboration and Communications to form the ‘corporate glue’ to drive high performance
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Experience within the construction and infrastructure sector.
- Strong knowledge of improvement methodologies such as Lean Six Sigma, Agile and behavioural management
- Experience of owning and directing a large portfolio of innovation and improvement projects across a broad range of technical and commercial areas in a complex safety critical programme
- Negotiation and management of Intellectual Property Resources in complex stakeholder environments
- Experience delivering knowledge management initiatives / programmes
- Experience managing change and transformation projects in a senior capacity
- Experience building and leading multi-disciplined teams, across multiple locations
- Effective communicator and facilitator, ability to build strong networks and influence at a senior level
- Experience in coaching and training others in skills and specialisms related to function
- Comfortable taking on a “disrupter” role, challenging norms and driving change that benefits project
- Strong written and analytical skills to assess information, understand trends and instruct action based of data
- Able to work in an agile manner, fast paced and able to identify and resolve blockers effectively
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador). SCS Railways is a Disability Confident employer. We welcome applications from candidates with a disability.
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
It is expected that you will work to be a part of the wider project team, living by the programmes expected values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
HS2 – working with Skanska, Costain and STRABAG, closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we encourage candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous, you do not have to provide a response.
All data will be held securely, (as stated within the Data Protection Act 1998) and will be reported to HS2. We will not share any of your data with other parties. This form is not mandatory, but your response would be appreciated
Deadline for application: 30/8/20
Unsuccessful applicants: Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact unsuccessful applicants on an individual basis.Final Statement:
We listened to our employees so our Core Benefits are funded by us and include a Group Pension Scheme, Employee Assistance Programme, Life Assurance, Income Protection and funded membership to a Professional Institute. In addition to this we also offer a Private Healthcare Scheme, Private Dental Scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Cycle to Work, Volunteering Days and Save as You Earn Scheme.
At Costain we aim to be an accessible, diverse and inclusive organisation to continue to meet our customers’ needs. We will be industry leading in our approach and people from all backgrounds will be proud to work for Costain. Our goal is to have a workforce that is representative of society.
We actively encourage applications from candidates who have a relationship with the armed forces community whether as a currently serving member or reservist, ex-military or wounded personnel or as a member of a service family.