Lead Employment Counsel and ER Manager (Mat Cover)
Babylon Health London a month ago
We are a team on a mission, to put accessible and affordable healthcare in the hands of every person on earth. Our mission is bold and ambitious, and it’s one that’s shared by our team who shares our values, to dream big, build fast and be brilliant.
To achieve this, we’ve brought together one of the largest teams of scientists, clinicians, mathematicians and engineers to focus on combining the ever-growing computing power of machines, with the best medical expertise of humans, to create a comprehensive, immediate and personalized health service and make it universally available.
At Babylon our people aren’t just part of a team, they’re part of something bigger. We’re a vibrant community of creative thinkers and doers, forging the way for a new generation of healthcare. We’re only as good as our people. So, finding the best people is everything to us.
We serve millions, but we choose our people one at a time…
The legal function at Babylon began in summer 2017, when the current General Counsel joined the company. As the Lead Employment Counsel and ER Manager, you will work closely with the People and Performance Team, including the Chief People Officer to provide support on employment related issues and strategy across the business.
You will play a crucial role in shaping the employment law and employee relations strategy at Babylon and helping integrate a global mindset into everything we do.
You'll spend time on the following:
- Working within the Babylon inhouse legal team, as well as alongside the People team, to lead on Babylon’s employment law matters.
- Providing day to day employment advice and information to the business globally.
- Advising on employment law strategy generally, with a particular focus on how we mobilise internationally (including liaising and managing local counsel).
- Advising on employment and contractor agreements including review of all employment and contractor agreements globally, with alignment where possible.
- TUPE advice
- Advice on large scale collective consultations/organisational design
- Oversee all employment tribunal work – including advising business on merits, negotiation, strategy and prep for hearing. Managing internally, and managing external counsel where required. Closely manage significant litigation.
- Communicate forthcoming legislative changes to the business/People team and drafting/implementation of any required changes
- Directorship of the Employee Relations function including; ER Workstream, ER strategy (including reporting, tracking and metrics) and implementation of new ER Operating Model
- Coaching a team of four including; a trainee solicitor, ER Partner, ER Advisor and ER Projects Lead, with plans to expand headcount further both in the UK and the US.
- Approval rights over all People Policies and Procedures globally, as well as responsibility for drafting, reviewing, implementing all ER Policies
- ER/Legal lead on projects e.g. IR35, Merit, EAP, policy changes, etc
- Monitor legal trends and best practice to proactively advise and design solutions to evolving risks, opportunities and best practice
We're excited about you if you have:
- English law qualified
- Minimum 8 years PQE
- Experience of creating, revising and implementing policy
- Experience of collective consultations / mergers and acquisitions
- International employment law experience (managing international Legal and/or ER issues)
- A background with training at a City law firm would be advantageous, along with inhouse experience
- Experience dealing with the US and APAC would be ideal
We believe that difference inspires a better, healthier world. That’s why it’s at the heart of everything we do. From our people to our products, difference enriches every part of our business and creates a culture based on equality of opportunity, and in which all Babylonians can progress their careers. We’re committed to creating an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, pregnancy status, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
At Babylon, we have Power of Diversity groups (PODs) to drive positive engagements that create and foster a diverse and inclusive environment and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse pool of candidates.
Our mission is to put an accessible and affordable health service in the hands of every person on earth. Diversity and inclusion play a key role in helping us bring this mission to life and create a true sense of belonging for all.