Lead/Senior Software Engineer
Lyst is a search and discovery platform which connects millions of shoppers globally with the world’s leading fashion designers and stores, giving them a simpler, more engaging buying experience. We work in small, self-managing, autonomous teams with end-to-end responsibility for a specific customer-focused project. This structure brings together Lysters from all the disciplines that are needed to deliver the squad’s goals. We reward these squads for the impact they make and value the innovative approaches that autonomy and alignment can bring. We hire great people and get out of their way.
We're looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to work with us and help Lyst build and grow our product and team. You will work closely with our engineers, designers, growth and product managers to technically plan, and develop new product features to help us execute our product strategy. You will be working within our App Tribe in one of the mission based squads.
The backend team is responsible for the collection of services that support the Lyst mobile app. The role will be to help scope and lead on building new features from a backend perspective working with fellow backend and mobile engineers. You will also take on some line management responsibility for a few of the engineers (with support from the lead and director of engineering who will also share management duties together as a team). This will be a great opportunity for those looking to take the next step in their career
Our goal is to build on the success of the App as a focus for the business for customers to find and buy fashion from our partners through a seamless, end-to-end experience. You will be working as part of a cross functional team to build a mobile platform that leverages our extensive data sets and provide an immersive and engaging user experience.
What will you be working on?
- Architecting and building new and maintaining existing features and functionality for our Mobile API and other services to support the product.
- 60/40 split of coding/technical work vs management - leading a team of 3/4 engineers.
- Understanding business requirements to improve monitoring
- Integration with other APIs and services internal and external
- Documenting and being accountable for the stability of the system
- You’ll primarily be working with Python (Django)
- We are fully AWS hosted, using a range of tools and setups: ECS, Docker, CircleCI, Postgresql, Redis, SQS, SNS
- Collaborating with product managers, mobile engineers, QA and designer
- Experience with any Backend development framework e.g. Python, Django
- Experience creating API specifications
- Experience building API that perform well and are optimised
- Proven experience with backend fundamentals from APIs to databases to deployment
- Accountable to keep team members informed on the work progress and status on approaches or solutions
- Communication: You are able to communicate clearly and be humble when sharing ideas with everyone on the team. You are able to explain your ideas clearly and transform them into plans. You are able to design the solution to a complex problem.
- You strive to write code that is readable by everyone, well tested and robust in production.
- You aren’t afraid to refactor existing code in favour of working around shortcomings.
- A thorough knowledge of automated testing, particularly unit testing.
- Knowledge of CI/CD pipelines i.e. CircleCI etc.
- Recommended: Previous experience in mentorship or as a line manager
- Recommended: Experience leading teams and delivering projects with technical challenges to overcome
- Flexible working: Our flexible working approach offers a high degree of freedom and autonomy. Individuals are provided with the discretion to work remotely on a regular basis, with an expectation that a reasonable proportion of time is spent in the office to enhance in-person collaboration.
- You get 29 days' time off throughout the year to take a well earned rest, in addition to the 8 public bank holidays
- The Lyst Clothing Benefit. We're a fashion company so we'll give you £250 to spend on the site in Year 1, £500 in Year 2, £750 in Year 3 and £1000 from Year 4 onwards. You're going to look fantastic!
- Private Healthcare by Vitality. Your health is important to us which is why we offer all employees a comprehensive healthcare scheme from the day that you start.
- Conferences and events. We’re big on learning, so all Lysters are allocated an individual training & development budget of £1,000.
- Enhanced family leave entitlements for both parents and carers
- Discounted eye tests and glasses
- Team meet-ups, social events, sports and exercise events
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Transport season ticket loans
Diversity and inclusion is an integral part of our culture. We recognise and celebrate the value and impact diversity brings to our company and are committed to ensuring this is a consistent focus, for which we are held to account. We are committed to treating all applicants fairly and equally, and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply for this role.