Medical Science Liaison - Scotland and NI
Passion for Innovation. Compassion for Patients.™
Daiichi Sankyo and its 15.000 employees in more than 20 countries are dedicated to the creation and supply of innovative pharmaceutical products. In addition to a strong portfolio of medicines for hypertension and thrombotic disorders, the Group’s 2025 vision is to become a “Global Pharma Innovator with Competitive Advantage in Oncology”. Our European headquarters are in Munich, Germany and we have affiliates in 12 European countries. For more information: www.daiichi-sankyo.co.uk
Field Based, Full time.
Salary £55k - £75k depending on experience (plus car allowance).
Purpose: The Medical Science Liaisons play a vital role in the exchange of scientific information on a peer to peer basis with Key External Experts. The Medical Science Liaison is responsible for becoming a technical and clinical expert on his or her designated product(s) and its related clinical areas and competitors. With this expertise the Medical Scientist Liaison provides this expert support to internal customers and external healthcare professionals in a defined geographic area of the UK.
Accountabilities / Measures:
1. Therapy area experts
- The MSL will have expertise in and knowledge of medicines, patient treatment trends, clinical trials, scientific activities and official guidelines within the disease area they work, and are expected to continuously update this expertise and knowledge.
- The MSL will, where appropriate, support the training department in the training of the sales teams by providing in-depth medical and scientific disease area knowledge and product information.
- The MSL will respond appropriately with accurate scientific data to unsolicited scientific questions from Health Care Professionals (HCPs) for products/brands with a marketing authorisation (on- and off label) and for products in development, all in compliance with company policies and legal and ethical standards and other applicable regulations.
- The MSL will develop and maintain contacts with Key External Experts (KEEs), in accordance with the strategy developed by the Company to gain insight into treatment patterns, scientific activities and the needs of health care providers within the MSL’s specific disease area.
- The MSL contributes to the development of brand plans and strategies by communicating KEE insights about the disease area, unmet medical needs, and treatment patterns/guidelines.
- The MSL should receive and process investigators' proposals for IISs in line with relevant SOP.
- The MSL should participate actively in providing input to the Daiichi Sankyo Clinical Operations and Clinical Research Organisations regarding site and investigator potential for Daiichi Sankyo sponsored studies.
- The MSL will work with the Medical Advisors, Medical Managers and the Clinical Operations teams in contributing to site selection for Daiichi Sankyo sponsored studies.
- The MSL should be the Daiichi Sankyo UK medical contact for investigators participating in Daiichi Sankyo sponsored clinical trials, for any non-operational matters related to the trial. This does not override the governance for communication that is part of a registered clinical trial. The MSL should work collaboratively with the Clinical Operations and Development teams to ensure that trials recruit to predefined timelines.
The MSL should:
- Fully understand and be compliant with company SOPs and the latest ABPI Code of Practice and code cases relevant to the role.
- Perform all the above in an ethical and legally compliant manner.
- Convey a clear message on legal and ethical standards to KEEs and Investigators, and internal Daiichi Sankyo staff.
- Develop an understanding and competence of Good Clinical Practise (GCP) and International Conference on Harmonisation, as well as legal and ethical standards.
- Alert management to possible compliance issues.
- A MD or PhD is strongly preferred; however a degree must be gained in one or more of the following disciplines: medicine, nursing, pharmacy or the pharmaceutical/life sciences.
- Understanding of the MSL role, and the ABPI Code of practice.
- Competent user of Microsoft Office 365 software products.
- Knowledge of clinical trial design and process.
- Must have ability to present complex scientific information, tailoring the content to the audience.
- Ability to quickly and accurately learn, retain and present detailed scientific information.
- Knowledge of the UK healthcare system, and the UK pharmaceutical industry.
- Full driving licence, and the ability to travel with the UK.
- Self-motivated, collaborative and goal orientated.
- Ability to work in a matrix and multicultural organisation.
- "Hands on" mentality.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Regional Healthcare System.
- Proven experience of presenting complex scientific information to HCPs at varying levels including Key External Experts.
- Experience of working in a similar field-based role, clinical research or other similar role where you have strong evidence of leading healthcare professional interactions.
- Experience of working in the disease area applicable to the role in question.
- Working experience of the ABPI Code of practice relevant to the role.
- Advanced presentation skills.
What we offer:
We offer an interesting, diversified and challenging position, good contractual conditions, flexible working models, all the social benefits of a modern company and a professional environment where you will have the opportunity for personal growth.