Real Estate Disputes Associate
Keen to become part of a truly global, collaborative team of professionals? Your journey begins here.
Real Estate Disputes Associate
9:30am to 5:30pm but additional hours may be required
Hogan Lovells is one of the leading global law firms. Our distinctive market position is founded on our exceptional breadth of practice, on deep industry knowledge, and on our 'one team' global approach. Formed through the combination of two top international law firms, Hogan Lovells has around 2,500 lawyers on six continents. With a presence in the world's major financial and commercial markets, we are well placed to provide excellent business-oriented advice to our clients locally and internationally. Our people are the key to our success, which is why we seek to recruit and retain the most talented individuals in all regions of our global practice.
The Real Estate Disputes practice is ranked in the top band by The Legal 500 and covers all aspects of commercial property litigation and different asset classes. The practice consists of two partners, seven associates, a legal adviser and one trainee. It deals with a wide range of contentious issues ranging from protecting the value of a client's assets, managing everyday business space, handling disputes arising out of buying and selling real estate, leasing commercial property, secured lending and redevelopment. As well as having very strong development and commercial landlord practices (acting for many of the largest investors and developers), the team is particularly well regarded in the real estate insolvency space and is frequently instructed by landlords seeking to challenge retail CVAs.
The Real Estate Disputes team sits within and works closely with Hogan Lovells’ leading real estate team.
The chosen candidate will be involved in dealing with and advising matters covering all aspects of commercial real estate disputes. This will include acting for the team's core client base of leading institutional investors on all contentious landlord and tenant matters including dilapidations, lease renewals, breach of covenant, forfeiture and lease termination and contested applications to assign, as well as providing support and working as part of a team on larger matters, including trials, mediation and arbitration.
Acting for a group of leading institutional landlords, including M&G, British Land and LandSec on High Court challenges of multiple retail CVAs.
Acting for The Crown Estate on all property litigation matters across its £3 billion Central London portfolio.
Acting for M&G Real Estate on High Court proceedings relating to the validity of an authorised guarantee agreement.
Acting for the UK Government on disputes worth over £1 billion following the expiry of PFI Contracts relating to hundreds of properties.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / ACCOUNTABILITIES
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understanding of legal principles of own practice area, along with a working knowledge of other practice areas
- Has project management responsibility, ensuring timely delivery to high quality standards
- Stays aware of legal developments affecting any specialist areas and regularly attends appropriate training sessions
- Has good working relationships with clients
- Has a good understanding of client, the sector and the associated risks and opportunities.
- Actively works to develop and strengthen new client relationships
Team Work and Interpersonal Skills
- Acts as a source of advice to others, sharing knowledge and expertise
- Has strong relationships and profile amongst senior colleagues
- Ability to work effectively with others whilst also managing and taking responsibility for an individual case load.
- Understands the industry and market in which the practice team and clients operate
- Contributes to the management of the group/practice area by understanding the firm’s capabilities and business plan
- Takes an active role in managing the firm's reputation both in and out of work
- Understands the responsibility to give back to our communities.
- Understands the value of a diverse workforce
We are looking for an experienced Real Estate Disputes Associate, with a strong focus on commercial landlord and tenant work. Ideally their experience will have been gained at a leading City or regional firm. It is essential that the candidate has a strong academic background (minimum 2.1 degree) with excellent written communication and drafting skills. The successful candidate will also have outstanding technical skills, together with the ability to build relationships with clients and colleagues and work well in a team. The ideal candidate will be an associate with around two to three years post-qualification experience (or equivalent experience) and will have experience of managing and independent case load and working as a member of a larger team.
AGILE WORKING STATEMENT
Our goal is to embed flexibility across our business by giving everyone the opportunity to work in an agile way, whether as a regular pattern or on an ad hoc basis, and we will be happy to discuss this further.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYMENT STATEMENT
It is the policy of Hogan Lovells to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of age, disability, ethnic origin, gender identity, religion, sex or sexual orientation