Senior Business Development Manager
EmpowerRD is a fast-growing startup based in London, UK. Our vision is to assist our clients to unlock all of the funding that rewards innovation globally. We do this by combining expert knowledge and advanced technology to take the complexity out of claiming for funding that is available. Our current focus is on helping companies within the UK unlock some of the £5Bn of funds available annually for companies that invest in research and development.
Having built a client base of over 500 companies in the last few years we continue to expand our focus and are looking to add a senior individual contributor position to our sales team to help us move further upstream. The senior business development manager will identify, prospect and close business for large claims. These will be with some of the most innovative companies in the UK and represent larger claim sizes and fees for EmpowerRD increasing our average fees per client.
You will work to build a pipeline and close business through your own efforts and by partnering closely with our sales development, partnerships and marketing teams. Upon successfully booking new business you will smoothly transition the customer to our operations team who will support them to process their claim(s) and manage the ongoing relationship over future years.
About the Job:
- Work with our senior leadership to identify a sales territory that supports our business objectives.
- Through direct approaches and via networking engage with prospects to educate, develop and book business for EmpowerRD
- Partner closely with the sales development, marketing and partnerships teams to enhance your own work and nurture short and long term business.
- Achieve goals for engagement, pipeline development and booked business.
- Identify strategic opportunities for EmpowerRD for partnerships or product enhancements to ensure we continue to maintain a market leadership position and meet current and emerging market opportunities.
- Share best practice with your peers and the wider company gained through strategic engagement with the market.
- Report to the Head of Business Development
EmpowerRD has a strong set of values that permeate our culture and define how we work. You should consider whether these align with your personal values and style when considering this role.
- Lead with integrity: We do the right thing by our team, client and stakeholders. We find the right solution, not the first solution. We build trust through our technology and relationships.
- Professionalism in engagement: We are reliable and dependable in our behaviour. We are an authority in our subject matter - we know what we're talking about. We invest in learning. We are respectful in our communication.
- Bold in outlook: We are an innovative organisation and invest in innovation in our technology, our processes and ourselves. We are bold in our actions. We are market leading in our thinking and services. We are driven by data.
- Proactive in focus: We have a growth mindset. We're not afraid of taking considered risks. We learn from mistakes and continuously improve. We dont wait to be told, we act as an example.
- Approachable in style: We see ourselves as an enabler of a wider ecosystem. We support each other and grow together. We are a team that is fun and positive. We make ourselves accessible to our teams, clients and stakeholders. We take ownership of our actions.
Skills and Qualifications:
- B2B sales experience for complex, multi stakeholder sales
- Experience of navigating the CxO audience with a bias to the finance and technology leadership functions
- Evidence of formal sales training at some point in your career and an ability to understand how different approaches map to a company's GTM approach.
- A consultative sales style with a challenger mindset, what we do is not new but how we do it is, you need to evangelise the innovations we have made and the value to our clients
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to simplify topics.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Early stage experience is a bonus. We don't have it all worked out and you will be blazing a trail and needing to build structure and clarity and as you go.
- Independent and able to self learn. We will support you every step of the way but you will be dealing with ambiguity and needing to develop new skills as you go.
- Bachelor's degree is preferred but essentially we need smart, considered team members.