Senior Consultant, R and Statistics Specialist, Analytics & Cognitive, Consulting, London
Join Deloitte and apply your skills to innovative projects reaching far beyond traditional machine learning, statistics and analytics boundaries. You'll work with colleagues and clients in Consulting, Corporate Finance, Tax and Audit – exposing you to cutting edge data science work in a strategic, commercial and business context. Here you'll apply an impressive range of broad consulting and technical skills that will enhance your career.
Our practice is growing in both breadth and technical depth which is increasingly important in an ever changing market, technology and regulatory landscape. You can expect to be involved in a wide variety of assignments.
Strategy, Analytics and M&A
How do you make intelligent, future-proof decisions in a world where change is the one constant? That’s exactly what you’ll help our clients to do. You’ll build trusted relationships with business stakeholders – and use the most exciting new technologies available – to create data-driven programmes that transform their organisations. Your advice will help clients position their organisations to succeed in an ever-evolving marketplace.
The role sits within Deloitte’s Analytics and Cognitive practice which is a group of statisticians, data scientists and innovators designed to deliver cutting edge solutions that leverage the latest statistical and analytical technologies for our most advanced clients. We create new and innovative propositions and our experience covers everything from data analytics strategy to analytics transformation and modernisation to analytical products and insights.
We are looking for data scientists with focus on statistics or statisticians with strong background in R programming to complement our data science capabilities and incorporate deep technical knowledge to solve our client business problems.
As one of the senior consultants in our AI & Insights Engagement team, you will:
- Apply statistical analysis and modelling to creatively solve complex problems
- Research and develop innovative solutions to expand our breadth of offerings
- Stay conversant in new statistical and analytical techniques, technologies, architectures and languages where necessary
- Assisting in the crafting of responses to client proposal requests and in pitching data science projects to client
- Be responsible for the high quality delivery of key parts of our engagements working with our senior data scientists
- Suggest practical solutions to clients and work to implement these solutions as a part of larger engagement teams
- Be highly aware of regulatory and market developments and be pro-active in identifying the challenges and opportunities they create and helping clients to strategically position themselves in a changing market place
At Deloitte we believe the best impact is the value we add, not the hours we sit at our desk. We carefully consider agile ways of working, both formal and informal, that allow for the best impact for our people and our clients. Please speak to your recruiter about the working pattern that works best for you.
Your home office will be London, but this client-facing role provides lots of opportunity for travel in the UK and European markets. You must have right to live and work in the UK.
This is a permanent contract opportunity. Our team members work a variety of agile working patterns. Tell us what arrangement works for you and we’ll try to accommodate.
Your professional experience
To qualify for the role you must have:
- Strong BSc in Statistics, Mathematics, Data Science, Engineering or other highly analytical/quantitative degree subject. MSc or PhD in Statistics is highly preferable
- Ability to distill key patterns/insights from a dataset and apply creativity such as creating new metrics/KPI to bridge the gap between the analytical solutions and the business problems
- Ability to effectively communicate technical findings to non-technical or senior management stakeholders
- Entrepreneurial & pragmatic mindset – ability to understand new concepts/systems quickly and work independently under pressure to meet timelines
- Superior planning and organization skills so as to work with a high-performance team, handle demanding clients and multitask effectively
- High degree of personal motivation and ability to self-manage
- Proficiency in applying R programming across different types of data science tasks including data cleaning, data wrangling, data joining, statistical modelling and data visualisation
- Familiarity with common R libraries for data management (e.g. tidyverse, dplyr, tidyr, readr, stringr), statistical analysis and time-series analysis (e.g. stats, MASS, forecast), visualisation (e.g. ggplot2, plotly), interactive web front-ends (e.g. Shiny) and frameworks such as R Markdown. Knowledge of R libraries for basic machine learning algorithms (e.g. caret, h2o) is a plus
- Proficiency with R development tools such as RStudio
- Hands-on experience of applying statistical modelling techniques in commercial organisations
- Excellent understanding of common modelling techniques and approaches including regression analysis (linear, logistic, GLM), time-series analysis and forecasting, regularisation (ridge/lasso regression) and model validation techniques
- Good understanding of feature selection and dimensionality reduction techniques such as principal component analysis
- Excellent understanding of basic probability concepts such as probability distribution, basic expectation and variance, simple conditional probabilities, Bayes’ theorem, combinatorics
- Excellent understanding of inferential statistics such as point and interval estimation, methods of estimation (method of least squares, maximum likelihood), hypothesis testing, unbiasedness and consistency of estimators
- Knowledge of optimisation techniques including linear and non-linear optimisation
- Basic knowledge of machine learning techniques including supervised (e.g. decision trees) and unsupervised algorithms (e.g. clustering/segmentation) is a plus
- Commercial insight
- Structured approach to problem solving
- Adaptability of skill-set
- Ability to convey complex and highly technical issues in layman terms identifying a strong commercial application able to enhance the clients' profitability
- Ability to manage client relationships
- Ability to manage engagements
- Ability to manage a significant piece of work and/or a team
- Show leadership in further developing our analytics offerings for our clients, identifying upcoming areas of demand driven by regulatory and market trends and assisting in targeting clients and working on proposals;
- Contribute to practice management, including recruitment and coaching
Our people and the way we work are the two things that set us apart in the consulting universe. For us, collaboration is fundamental to success, along with an unrivalled depth and breadth of expertise. We work closely with our clients and each other, at every stage of every project, solving our clients’ trickiest problems with a mix of knowledge, creativity and intellectual rigour. A hugely diverse range of clients rely on us to deliver the kind of change that adds genuine, lasting value to their business.
Regulation and controls are standard practice in our industry and Deloitte is no exception. These controls provide important legal protection for both you and the firm. We are subject to a number of audit regulations, one of which requires that certain colleagues abide by specific personal independence constraints. This can mean that you and your "Immediate Family Members" are not permitted to hold certain financial interests (shares, funds, bonds etc.) with audit clients of the firm. The recruitment team will provide further detail as you progress through the recruitment process.
Our Purpose & Strategy
To make an impact that matters for our clients, our people and society - defines who we are and what we stand for. Our purpose provides the foundation for our strategy and our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services: this is not about size, it's about being the first choice. The first choice for the largest and most influential clients, and the first choice for the best talent.
What do we do?
Deloitte offers global integrated professional services that include Audit & Assurance, Consulting, Financial Advisory, Legal, Risk Advisory and Tax Consulting. Our approach combines intellectual leadership, industrial expertise, insight, consulting & problem solving capabilities whatever the role, technology revolutions and innovation from multiple disciplines to help our clients excel anywhere in the world.
Beyond the UK: Deloitte North and South Europe
The UK is part of Deloitte North and South Europe (NSE), the second largest member firm in the Deloitte network. Deloitte NSE combines operations in Belgium, Central Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, Malta), Ireland, the Middle East (Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Oman, Palestinian Ruled Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen), the Netherlands, the Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), Switzerland and the UK. Deloitte NSE brings together 2,700 partners and over 50,000 people, combining our unmatched breadth and depth of capabilities in audit and assurance, consulting, financial advisory, risk advisory, and tax and legal across the region. Being part of Deloitte NSE supports our aspiration to be the undisputed leader in professional services and will create more opportunity and growth for our people.
What do we value?
What brings us all together at Deloitte? It’s how we approach the thousands of decisions we make every day. How we behave, our beliefs and our attitudes. In other words: our values. Whatever we do, wherever we are in the world, we lead the way, serve with integrity, take care of each other, foster inclusion, and collaborate for maximum impact. These five shared values lead every decision we make and action we take, guiding us to deliver impact how and where it matters most.
Being a Leader at Deloitte
Cultural fit and purpose-led leadership is crucial for Deloitte. Our leaders always set the example and inspire their colleagues. They make quality time for people and take an interest in them. They know what matters to people - both inside and outside work – and value them as individuals; always finding opportunities to develop them while showing respect and appreciation.
We expect colleagues at all levels to embrace and live our purpose and our leadership culture by challenging themselves to identify issues that are most important for our clients, our people, and for society and make an impact that matters. We know leadership comes in all shapes and sizes, but our Leadership Charter helps all of our people understand what we’re looking for:
- We live our purpose: we act as a role model, embracing and living our purpose and values, and recognising others for the impact they make
- We develop talent: we develop high-performing people and teams through challenging and meaningful opportunities
- We drive performance: we deliver exceptional client service; maximise results and drive high performance from people while fostering collaboration across businesses and borders
- We believe positive influence can make an impact that matters: we influence clients, teams, and individuals positively, leading by example and establishing confident relationships with increasingly senior people
- We move, together, towards a strategic direction: we understand key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligning people to objectives and setting priorities and direction.
Deloitte LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675 and its registered office at 1 New Street Square, London EC4A 3HQ, United Kingdom.
Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom affiliate of Deloitte NSE LLP, a member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee ("DTTL"). DTTL and each of its member firms are legally separate and independent entities. DTTL and Deloitte NSE LLP do not provide services to clients. Please see www.deloitte.com/about to learn more about our global network of member firms.
© 2020 Deloitte LLP. All rights reserved.
Requisition code: 181509