Senior Data Engineer
We at Funding Options are looking for an experienced Data Engineer to support us on our mission: To help business owners get the right finance in place, so they can trade, plan and grow with confidence.
Funding is the fuel companies need to grow, adapt and survive. But all too often, businesses can find it hard to secure the finance they need – there are too many confusing products, complex application forms and long waits.
When we started Funding Options in 2011, we wanted to transform the business finance market. We set out to make sure every business owner could make an informed choice, and have access to instant funding decisions. With a panel of 120+ lender partners, we’ve helped more than 10,000 businesses get the finance they need, quickly and easily. That adds up to over £0.5B in funding for businesses in the UK and the Netherlands.
Funding Options is one of the winners in Nesta’s Open Up Challenge for Open Banking, and has been designated by HM Treasury for the bank referral scheme, to help UK SMEs find alternative finance when they're unsuccessful with the major banks. We’ve recently secured further investment from ING Ventures, won Pool D of the RBS alternative remedies package, had our first successful connection through Open Banking and we are now about to embark on the next step on our exciting journey.
- People First
- Stronger Together
- Shaking Things Up
- Constantly Learning
- Never Passengers
To show how truly committed we are to increasing diversity both within our business, and across the broader industry we’ve signed up to the HM Treasury’s Women in Fintech Charter and joined the FinTech For All Charter to formalise our commitments to achieving fairness.
As our core values indicate, we truly aim to put people first, if you don’t believe us, head over to our blog and read some of the stories and learn about the talents of the many individuals who make up our business.
Reporting to the Head of Analytics, you will help Funding Options transition to a more data driven company using a modern and reliable data stack. You will act as a local expert on the design and implementation of our data eco-system and be responsible for the day-to-day running and maintenance of our data warehouse (BigQuery) and data pipelines. As the company is growing rapidly you will also be responsible for enhancing our data capabilities and data volumes in a scalable and sustainable way. Overall, this is a key role within the data and analytics function and an ideal opportunity for an enthusiastic and passionate Senior Data Engineer to join our exciting company.
Our current tech stack is: Stitch, Airflow, DBT, BigQuery, Looker, Metabase
- Day to day ownership of our BigQuery data warehouse and data pipelines. You will be a local expert for our data infrastructure and responsible for ensuring it is well maintained.
- Lead a team of Data Engineers (currently 1 to grow to 3 in 2022)
- Improve the efficiency, consistency and reliability of the entire data eco-system so our data is trusted by the business and external clients.
- Build new ETL/ELT processes so we can scale as a business and increase our data volumes.
- Identify weaknesses in the current architecture and design improvements.
- Build automated data validation and testing processes with centralised monitoring and alerting.
- Perform code reviews and ensure coding standards are high.
- Share your knowledge with other members of the data team.
- Stretch yourself by constantly learning and developing your skills and knowledge.
- Enjoy yourself and enjoy being part of our great start-up culture.
- Hands-on experience building and maintaining a BigQuery data warehouse.
- Experience in managing a team of Data Engineers or keen to make a step up to the role of team lead.
- A very good general understanding of databases and data warehouse technologies.
- Experience with schema design, dimensional data modelling and handling rapidly growing data volumes.
- Experience in ETL/ELT design, implementation and maintenance.
- Experience as a software developer, with strong Python skills and the ability to write efficient SQL statements.
- A logical and analytical approach to life with meticulous attention to detail.
- An aptitude for problem solving and ability to prioritise multiple concurrent tasks.
- University degree in a STEM subject.
- Experience in Fintech is an advantage
- Flexible working
- Employee assistance and wellbeing support plan (including face to face counselling when you need a little extra support)
- 25 days annual leave for you to relax and recharge plus bank holidays
- Enhanced parental leave pay for the primary carer - regardless of gender and family makeup
- 1 paid volunteering day per year
- Private health insurance with Vitality