Senior DevOps Engineer
TouchNote - Reinventing personal communication for the digital era.
TouchNote is an app designed to help nurture your most important relationships. Our creative platform lets you send custom-made real cards, straight from your phone, to anywhere in the world. We help our members share the everyday, any day. From postcards, greetings cards & prints, to framed photos and much more, we’ve helped send over 15 million cards to 180 countries worldwide.
About the Team:
We’re a team of passionate individuals trying to make a difference, bridging the gap between digital and physical. With an office in Shoreditch, you can expect the exposed brick, ping pong table and popcorn machine (of course) but we’re about so much more than that, we take the culture of our team incredibly seriously, and have big ambitions when it comes to what we do and how we do it.
We’re hiring for an exciting new role in our engineering team! DevOps to us means the practice of bringing together developers, operations, and the rest of the business to work collaboratively to get the best possible outcomes for TouchNote, with continuous improvement and feedback loops.
We are looking for someone to move our modern stack (Kubernetes, Go, Microservices, AWS) forward to be more scalable and efficient as we grow in existing and new markets! (like many, we know our cluster is a little bloated and there are AWS/other services that we could be better utilising e.g. serverless technology).
This role will report to the Director of Engineering initially and the Services Team Lead in the future (if you want to be a lead & care about not just technology but also people then even more reason to get in touch) and sit in the services (back end) team working across the UK & India.
Although line management is based on skill (in this case Services), we deliver work in cross functional squads so this role will sit in our Platform & Core Experience squad. The newly formed squad will own platform, tooling and core features (customer & internal facing) with the most varied and challenging projects in technology at TouchNote, supporting all other squads as well as delivering features.
(If you like long running, slow moving projects with little impact then give this one a miss)
Upcoming projects in this role will involve:
- Optimising our hosting - using the right tools for the job rather than a one size fits all model
- Expanding to new Markets - Improving app performance and setting up new integrations with 3rd parties (e.g. printers) in new markets as we expand
- Reviewing & evolving core experience components - For example (but not limited to) Payments, Subscriptions, Memberships, Printers, Order Processing, Inventory, Customer Service, etc
- Building solid foundations - For infrastructure, processes and patterns
- Moving us to CI/CD - not just writing an acronym in the job description, actual Continuous Integration & Continuous Deployment!
- Supporting our Data Engineering team bringing their data science into the customer experience
We believe in doing things properly, moving quickly, being data driven and using experiments - as well as making time to keep up to date with technologies in a supportive friendly environment (it’s even part of our values: Leaders are Learners)
- Solid understanding of AWS (variety of services and deploying them via CloudFormation)
- Solid understanding & experience writing scalable enterprise Go
(or a desire to learn and ability to demonstrate equivalent knowledge in another language)
- AWS compatible IaC (ideally CloudFormation)
- Extensive experience setting up and evolving CI/CD pipelines
- Experience with a variety of different automated testing techniques & practices
- Experience mentoring and developing other, less experienced, team members
- Comfortable contributing to technical discussions around implementation & architecture
- Desire to constantly learn & evolve technical skills and propose changes to push Touchnote’s technology estate forward
Nice to haves:
- Comfortable leading technical discussions around implementation & architecture
- Experience leading teams (or an interest in growing into a lead role that involves looking after technology and people)
- Interest in other aspects of our technology stack (Angular, Swift, Kotlin, Node, PHP) - some of which we are migrating away from (PHP)
- Comfortable talking with stakeholders to explain technical details and project updates
- Free TouchNote Credits (of course!).
- Monthly company socials and fun stuff!
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays & for each year of continued service here at TouchNote, you will receive one extra day of annual leave (capped at up to 5 additional days).
- Working from home equipment budget
- Access to our Learning and Development platform Learnerbly
- Perkbox account
- Cycle to work Scheme
- Tech Scheme
- Smart Pension
- Vitality health insurance.
A little more about our values and how we work
Always Close - We pride ourselves on being a uniquely close team; we hire people who we genuinely enjoy spending time with and we take care of each other. Togetherness also means thoughtfulness: we are accountable to each other. It’s not about you, it’s about us winning as a team.
Own it - Understand and take responsibility for your part in our success; we tell you where to go, not how to get there. Getting it done, on time, is up to you.
Leaders are Learners - To be the best we can be, we accept that we do not have all of the answers. We must continuously learn, grow and develop. We expand in our roles.
Natural Creativity - We’re an innovative bunch building a world-class platform for creative communication. We take creative problem solving really seriously, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously with it.
It's all about Integrity - Be yourself and do your best. We are all in this together; your voice matters, say what you think. If you disagree, speak up. If the decision goes the other way, commit and move on.