Senior Front End Web Developer
Senior Front End Web Developer
Yoto is an interactive audio platform founded by experienced entrepreneurs that aims to change the way children access audio content. The Yoto ecosystem revolves around a curated library of stories, music, activities, sound effects, podcasts and radio. Children listen to the content on Yoto Player, a safely connected speaker that is controlled using physical cards with NFC technology. Additionally, the Yoto App allows parents to retain a level of control, enabling volume control, remote play and more.
We launched our first hardware product, Yoto Player, on Kickstarter in November 2017, reaching its funding target after only 5 days, and receiving a Red Dot Design award in the process. The product shipped for Christmas 2018 to a great customer reaction. Our partners include Roald Dahl Story Company, Penguin Random House, Hachette, Macmillan, Harper Collins, Naxos, Storynory and more. Luke Kelly, grandson of Roald Dahl and MD of the Roald Dahl Story Company, is on our board, and we are well-funded - backed by leading investors.
At the start of 2020, having worked with Pentagram on the redesign of the product and our brand, we relaunched Yoto Player. Since then, and despite certain major world events, sales have been doubling (and sometimes tripling) MOM, we've launched UK and US websites, won multiple awards including TIME's Best Invention 2020, had a tonne of good press across the world and started to build some great buzz.
We're looking for an experienced front end developer passionate about UX, speed and accessibility to join our Web Development team. You'll be collaborating with designers, marketing, content teams whilst designing and building world class web apps for the Yoto platform, including our flagship online stores across different countries as well as purpose built web apps and dashboards for Yoto users and for internal use.
The role is currently fully remote but we have an office in King's Cross, London, where you'll be expected to visit from time to time. Whilst this is not a remote only position, we offer flexible working hours or remote working where possible and appropriate. Many of the team are parents and we truly understand that life and work need to work together.
- Write clean and robust code following good development principles (SOLID, DRY, KISS, YAGNI)
- Use TDD incl. unit, integration and end-to-end tests and be prepared to write tests for all feature delivery
- Set up and maintain CI/CD flows
- Be instrumental in architecture, standards and tooling decisions
- Take part in researching, estimating and prioritizing features for roadmap
- At least 2 years commercial experience
- In-depth understanding and experience in cross-browser development
- Great front-end skills - HTML5 / (S)CSS / Liquid
- Good understanding of responsive design principles, speed optimization techniques, web standards, security, accessibility
- Experience with React (or Angular/Vue) frameworks
- Shopify API experience or experience with building and managing high-volume e-commerce sites
- Experience of systems integration & ecommerce integration with third parties (Marketing, Logistics, APIs, Subscription)
We're a small team so you'll get a chance to play with plenty of different things all the time – bonus points for any experience or desire to dig into any of the following:
- Cloud based infrastructures (AWS), serverless development
- Pub/sub, message queuing protocols
- OAuth/OpenID protocols
What we offer
- Competitive salary (based on experience)
- Equity (EMI share options)
- 25 days holidays
- Workplace pension
- Currently fully remote, but in more normal times, we operate a flexible work environment
- Exciting ride in a fast-growth start-up
NB: This is a full-time role based in London and you must be eligible to work in the UK as we are unable to offer visa sponsorship. No recruiters please!