Senior Java Developer - Visa Payments Limited
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of digital commerce on any device for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
By joining one of our teams at Visa Payments Ltd, a division of Visa Inc since 2019, you’ll have an opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Being part of Visa, the world’s leader in digital payments technology, our mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network, enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive.
Visa Payments Ltd Earthport is a financial technology business that provides cross-border payment processing services to banks and payments businesses across six continents through its global network. One of the fastest growing global Fintech businesses the Group also provides tailored FX and payment solutions direct to corporates through its Visa Payments Ltd FX brand.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we are proud that we are a talented team of 18,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life both within and outside of the office, and whether it is taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programmes, Visa Payments Ltd and Visa Inc. respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
If you think you could support the Visa family by joining Visa Payments Ltd as a Senior Java Developer, we want to hear from you.
What’s it all about?
The Senior Developer is a hands-on technology leadership role operating within the Solution Delivery team. This individual will not only be expected to write code but also act in a senior capacity by helping the lead developer to lead talented software engineers, conducting code reviews and taking part in design sessions. Whilst the architecture team will own and be responsible for the overall architecture solutions, the Senior Developer will be expected to influence and shape all relevant architectural decisions.
The platform is constantly evolving so you will need to look to the future and innovate. By keeping abreast of current trends and best practices you will be able to recommend new tooling, techniques and approaches. Therefore, this individual will need to possess a passion for continuous improvement.
We are seeking someone who has a strong background in both platform and product development, specifically within payments or the financial services industry. You will care passionately about design, particularly clean, maintainable code as well as the need to ensure our releases operate reliably in production utilising thorough monitoring and alerting.
About the Team
The Solution Delivery team within the overall Technology function is responsible for the full software delivery lifecycle of the core payments platform. This includes technical analysis, software development, testing and release management.
This is the largest team within technology and is comprised of multiple teams working both onshore and offshore across several time zones. All teams utilise agile delivery methods conforming to the scaled agile framework (SAFe).
The outputs and deliverables from this team are mission critical to the successful execution of the corporate strategy. As such, this team demands high standards with regards to software quality, reliability, scalability and cyber security.
Skills & Experience
The areas flagged below are the essential needs associated with the role but do not reflect an exhaustive listing of the required skills and experience to fulfil it. Any additional elements that will further enhance the ability to execute the role are most beneficial.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Manages and maintains core components of the overall payments processing platform with deep knowledge and understanding of its construct and function.
- Sets the direction and technology change for their components of the processing platform to meet Product Roadmaps and strategic direction of the business as well as technology choices.
- Maintains an up-to-date perspective on technology options and industry best practice with application to their ongoing code delivery and share of this across the development teams.
- Review and assessment of written code across the team for clean, well-structured code with appropriate tests and documentation that meets the agreed requirements, setting the example to the rest of the team and ensuring these standards are maintained.
- Specifies areas of the platform where code refactoring is required due to old code or techniques being superseded and where appropriate to ensure consistent error free code.
- Reviews and promotes the introduction of appropriate tools and processes to support development activities.
- Ensures all relevant activities are completed as part of software development (e.g. Attends Stand Up meetings, timely updates to tasks, user stories, etc.).
- Considers and supports the responsibilities of Technical Project Managers throughout the SDLC.
- Freely shares knowledge with other members of the team and the company.
- Contributes regularly and positively to discussions regarding internal process and system improvements in order to ensure maximum efficiency across the company. Including suggesting technical solutions to problems.
- Responds promptly and professionally to requests for support.
- Supports incident management to fix Production issues when they occur and the restoration of service as rapidly as possible.
- Work closely with Business Analysts, Technical Architects and other Developers to achieve a high-quality coded output.
- Maintain delivery across multiple projects simultaneously with consistently high standards applied to all outcomes.
- Acts as a technical lead who coaches and supports software developers to ongoing change delivery and broader department initiatives, business and corporate initiatives.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to coach, mentor and support other members of the engineering team, sharing technical and operational knowledge in a helpful and timely fashion.
- Security is a prime responsibility at Visa with exposure and experience required to deal with industry best practices for preventing security vulnerabilities within delivered data related solutions.
- Self-starter and self-motivated, with the ability to challenge and question the status quo in an appropriate manner while addressing the broad needs of the organisation and more locally with the delivery team.
- Attention to detail in all areas of work: design, documentation, coding, testing, and following agreed processes.
- Effective prioritisation and multi-tasking - able to prioritise quickly and effectively. Maintains a can-do attitude.
- Open to feedback, able to deal with ambiguity and work on multiple concurrent activities.
- Calm under pressure and naturally curious to solve problems, explore new techniques and technologies.
- Able to work with and manage delivery teams that are geographically dispersed and across time zones.
- An accomplished developer with who has worked in a team of 30 or more on large codebases.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Must have led teams of technical analysts, software developers and QA test analysts.
- More than comfortable in an ambiguous matrixed organisation.
- Very strong core Java programming.
- Very strong Spring and Hibernate experience.
- Distributed systems and event driven architectures.
- Messaging, ideally RabbitMQ.
- SQL and NoSQL knowledge across various DB solutions.
- Strong knowledge and experience of Agile methodologies, with experience of leading sprint teams.
- Cloud native architectures utilising containers and 12-factor-app principles desired.
- Full SDLC experience with CI/CD using TeamCity or Jenkins.
- Experience leading and coaching software developers.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships and work collaboratively with and through others.
- Experience in a highly analytical, results-oriented environment with cross-functional interactions.
- Strong experience of software testing lifecycle and techniques such as unit, integration, acceptance, regression test and the use of mocks and stubs.
- Ability to break down and solve complex problems and follow solutions through to completion.
- Ability to function autonomously, exercise sound decision-making skills, and serve as an advocate for Visa's business goals and objectives.
- Planning and problem solving with Product Management and Solution Delivery teams.
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa Payments Limited is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.