The role holder is a member of the Marine Department and is responsible for ensuring the effective delivery of the vision and the strategy for the Yacht Team in relation to specific portfolio(s) and / or markets to an agreed authority level.
The Senior Underwriter will be focused on the successful management of specific client portfolios and relevant market activity within the Yacht product group. The role holder will take responsibility for maintaining and building new business which profitably grows the Yacht product group and minimises loss exposures. As part of a Yacht product group there will be regular interaction across all of Marine’s global locations and MS Amlin’s other Departments.
3. Key Result Areas
- Provide input into the strategic direction of the portfolios and products, being responsible for the effective delivery of designated elements of the Yacht strategy and business plan.
- With the Lead Underwriter and Product Group Leader – identify and pursue opportunities that will enhance the Yacht proposition and strategic goals.
- Where appropriate collaborate with other portfolios, products and departments across the regions to leverage relationships and opportunities.
- Develop and proactively manage the designated business by utilising relevant resources as appropriate.
- Generate and manage business on a client relationship basis for specific portfolio and product groups and platforms within the Yacht product group.
- Ensure risks are written within the agreed parameters – making sound long term decisions on risks that are written.
- Alignment to and delivery of tactical client intimacy initiatives within the portfolio(s), markets and product forum.
- Undertake analysis of the portfolio to identify business opportunities, products and clients, ensuring a robust business case.
- Where appropriate, seek out and grow opportunities with new clients.
- Ensure client intimacy is achieved through the efficient oversight of issues raised including liaison to ensure effective conclusion to complaints and claims.
- Ensure risks are written within the agreed parameters – making sound long term decisions on risks that are written, with a focus on smart rationale underwriting.
- Provide effective input into the underwriting performance.
- Liaise with and ensure compliance with underwriting management, taking corrective action as necessary and operating within agreed authorities
- Provide relative reports on the region / product as required.
- Proactively participate in product forum meetings, as appropriate – challenging and responding to challenges regarding the Product performance.
- Effective performance management or mentoring of individuals, ensuring high levels of engagement, motivation and retention of our talent and key performers.
Compliance and Risk Management
- Conduct role in accordance with the Company’s Business Ethics policy and all regulated entities as appropriate.
- Manage the location/market so that is complies with relevant risk, regulatory and legal requirements and so that it complies with Group policies.
4. Operating Context
In an increasingly competitive market, it is vital for us to differentiate ourselves in all segments and routes to market. MS Amlin operates within a dynamic and challenging environment over multiple territories across the globe, where it is a leader in a number of markets. Key to our success is ensuring that we drive client intimacy through the alignment of resources to respond to the ever-changing needs of our clients, while ensuring we maintain an ongoing focus on delivering profitable underwriting. This entails having a true understanding of the needs and behaviours of our clients, deepening our relationships with them and delivering MS Amlin’s global expertise at the point of client contact. Whilst conducting our business it is always of importance that we balance the outward facing business needs with the internal regulatory requirements which must be adhered to within each operating entity.
5. Key Competencies
- Business Awareness
- Working Across Functions
- Delivering Results
- People Management
- Managing Relationships
- Customer Focus
- Strategic planning
- Good knowledge and experience relevant underwriting expertise within Yacht and Marine Trade.
- Proven ability to think strategically and input effectively into the Class and Department strategy.
- Able to demonstrate achievement of client centric value propositions
- Ability to work and effectively manage matrix relationships
- High level of influencing and negotiating skills
- Financial and commercial acumen
- Proven experience of handling new and renewal business within guidelines under the overall direction of the Lead Underwriter.
- In-depth and thorough understanding of all relevant contract terms and conditions.
- Competent in pricing risks within the area of authority.
- Broad underwriting experience and able to deputise for the Lead Underwriter.
- Proven capability of developing new and existing broker and client relationships and run client meetings regularly without support.
6. Cultural Behaviours
The behaviours that the job holder must exhibit for desired cultural fit.
Places all our internal and external clients at the centre of decision making; develops propositions that are fair, relevant and useful
Thinks about future possibilities and outcomes that can shape success in original ways
Provides opportunities and support for colleagues to grow and succeed
Able to work as ‘one team’ to gain commitment and results to ensure success for all
Acts with integrity to deliver on commitments, ensuring the same for others
Ambitious and disciplined in setting and achieving goals