Are you passionate about working with cutting edge technology and owning the design and engineering on projects delivering solutions that are central to our customer’s missions? Join BAE Systems as a Solution Architect.
We are recruiting for additional Solution Architects to join new agile development teams working for a Central Government customer. The programme of work is very high profile, and is focussed on building new digital services in the Education sector. Due to Covid-19, these roles will initially be undertaken from home, but once lockdown is lifted, it is expected that there will be some regular travel to client site in London.
As a Solution Architect you’ll be working to own the solution design and engineering methods of our client's core mission applications, defining innovative solutions to problems, underpinned by robust delivery and engineering methods to deliver capabilities that are not only essential to their business, but they’ll love to use. You’ll never get bored, with no two projects being the same, but you’ll bring your experience from other systems to each challenge to ensure our deliveries and an enduring success.
You’ll enjoy working as part of a team, typically being the most senior technical person on a project working with other architects, engineers and business analysts to get the best out of the team, allowing everyone to contribute the skillsets. You will be an excellent communicator both internally within your project, as well as externally to senior customer stakeholders to facilitate decision making and co-ordinate design activities with related teams.
Your experience will cover software design, infrastructure, delivery methods and engineering approaches. You won’t be expected to be an expert in them all, but you should know enough about each to make informed decisions on the best approach to follow for each. You’ll therefore know when to use Waterfall vs Agile, PaaS vs IaaS or Mongo vs Hadoop. You’ll be empowered to make decisions but will be part of a community of solution architects and engineers to bounce ideas off of and get assurance where you need it.
Not only will your team be directly making a huge impact upon the systems you work on, you’ll be doing it for an organisation who makes a huge impact to the security of the UK.
You will have experience in the majority of the following:
- Hands-on experience in Azure
- Shaping and driving solution thinking for complex bids and delivery engagements
- Shaping solution designs following a structured methodology as appropriate to the project
- Defining infrastructure requirements for a software solution to support a scalable and resilient application
- Overseeing the implementation of the design in collaboration with other team members such as Application, Data and Security Architects
- Ensuring the design meets key functional and in particular non-functional requirements, enabling through life scenarios of the solution to be satisfied
- Working with customer technical authorities to ensure that they have a clear understanding of architecture and design proposals at an appropriate level
- Working with Engineering teams to promote good practice in engineering methods, eg development, automation and testing
- Retaining overall ownership of solution through delivery and transition into operation
- Leading estimation efforts to develop an understanding of potential solution costs and delivery timescales
And will have applied it in some of the following domains:
- Big Data solutions
- Web Scale applications for the Cloud
- Open Source and COTS integration
- Integration patterns and architectures
- Workflow systems
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.